How do you change the "shutter speed" on a dslr (Canon Rebel XTi)?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you change the "shutter speed" on a dslr (Canon Rebel XTi)?

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

Default How do you change the "shutter speed" on a dslr (Canon Rebel XTi)?

I see the instructions about changing shutter speeds, but I can't find it in my manual or on the camera going through the menu... 1/200? Thanks!

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

Default Re: How do you change the "shutter speed" on a dslr (Canon Rebel XTi)?

You can't change the shutter speed in the auto modes of your camera. You have to use the Shutter Priority or the Manual setting. With my Rebel XT, if I'm in the manual mode, I can change the shutter speed from Bulb (always open until you close) up to 1/4000. If I'm using the flash, the SS will only go up to 1/200. If you try to increase or decrease the SS and the number in the viewfinder blinks, you shouldn't take a picture because it is too over or under exposed. You will have to change the AV or ISO to increase or decrease the shutter speed. This is a very simplified explanation. Hope it helps.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

And the actual physical way to change the shutter speed is by using your thumb on the wheel and turning it to increase or decrease the shutter speed. You will see the speed you select in the view finder and on the LCD display.

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

I think I figured out that I had to be on the AV mode to change it...but I still don't quite understand why I was changing it and what it does. What a bone-head, eh? Someday, I'll learn what this all means! LOL I haven't tried to go manual yet... Yikes!

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

imported_Jimbo is offline Senior Member

See pages 66 and 67 in your manual... It goes over the Tv (shutter priority) mode.

Also, heres a link to your manual online.
    http://alpha03u.c-wss.com/inc/ApplServlet?SV=WWUCA900

imported_Jimbo is offline Senior Member

Yellardawg is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by raian
    And the actual physical way to change the shutter speed is by using your thumb on the wheel and turning it to increase or decrease the shutter speed. You will see the speed you select in the view finder and on the LCD display.
    Your thumb?????? bet your hands look funny

I use my thumb to work the wheel on my camera. I have a Nikon. Is the wheel somewhere different on the Canon???

Yellardawg is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by raian
    I use my thumb to work the wheel on my camera. I have a Nikon. Is the wheel somewhere different on the Canon???

It's right next to the shutter button.

Exactly where mine is.. on top of the camera. I grip the camera with my fingers, and use my thumb to control the dial. How do you do it? It wouldn't work on mine to use a finger, that would be awkward.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast