Just Labradors banner

Daytona 500 anyone?

1K views 38 replies 14 participants last post by  MicksMom 
#1 ·

What a bizarre chain of events!

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
No, I don't watch to see crashes, especially not something like that when someone could have been killed.

It happened on a caution lap, which is the first odd event. You don't normally have crashes on caution laps obviously. Juan Pablo Montoya had been in the pit and was traveling up to speed to get back to the pack (allowed.) The jet dryers often come out during cautions to blow debris off the track. Montoya's car broke just as he was driving past the jet dryers, he lost control and slipped up the track crashing into one. Jet dryers are powered by jet fuel, which started to pour down the banked track and caught on fire.

Luckily Montoya and the driver of the jet dryer were both okay, though the truck driver was taken to a hospital for observation - the car crashed into the back of his truck and his driver side door and he doesn't have the safety gear that the race car drivers have.

#19 ·
...Jet dryers are powered by jet fuel, which started to pour down the banked track and caught on fire...
Not to mention the full tank of deisel fuel in the truck's gas tank.

My cousin and her family were there. Her husband works for Roush and had pit and garage passes...
Any chance your cousin will adopt Ken & me? We're big Roush fans.

Dave, you'll appreciate this. Not a Kyle fan, but this is impressive.

Kyle Busch Incredible Save 2012 Budweiser Shootout at Daytona - YouTube
I'm not a Kyle fan, either (or Kurt for that matter), but I did have to admit those saves took talent.

#5 ·
Code:
So I take it there was a crash?
There's your sign.

No, they were hungry and wanted to grill some hot dogs.

Nascar is fun to watch and this race is one for the ages. Glad everyone is ok and nobody got hurt. First Monday race ever and it wasn't over until 1 Am.

#7 ·
I'm struck by two thoughts, first that I've only seen the 500 twice and the first time Earnhardt died and the second time the track melted, so maybe they should just ask me to stay away, and secondly, the ability to not make judgmental comments about things you don't personally enjoy is apparently a learned skill.

#17 ·
I'm struck by two thoughts, ... and secondly, the ability to not make judgmental comments about things you don't personally enjoy is apparently a learned skill.
Agreed - I think it must be a sign of age, but I get fed up with singers who's biggest asset seems to be the size of their breasts.

#11 ·
Not to mention the heat and g-forces in the car and the weight of the car they're man-handling in those conditions for 3+hours, combined with the mental gymnastics of doing all that inches from another guy doing the same thing.

#24 ·
I wasn't offended, Pam. Lots of people think racing isn't a sport. I just wanted to give some points about why I think they are athletes and it is a sport.

Lindsay's did rub me the wrong way, I have to admit. I COMPLETELY understand if you're not a fan of racing. It is definitely not for everyone & I don't try to hound people into watching. (Although, there's nothing like being at a race. I didn't get the bug until I actually went out to the track with Jason.) I don't understand why non-fans have to be snotty about it is all.

(They race on road courses too - so they do occasionally turn right.)

#25 ·
Lindsay's did rub me the wrong way, I have to admit. .... I don't understand why non-fans have to be snotty about it is all.

(They race on road courses too - so they do occasionally turn right.)
It was a joke... a memory of Robin Williams bit about NASCAR and Boxing (saying people watch NASCAR because of crashes like people like boxing because they watch people beat the crap out of each other)... I wasn't trying to be snotty.

#32 ·
...Thank goodness my father didnt take me to a "real" sport like a game of cricket or rounders (baseball) :yawn:
At least when you go to a baseball game you don't leave with grit all over your face. Admittedly I have never been to a big race, but when we go to our local race track . . . it is grit city. Our local track hosts everything from stock car races to school bus figure-8 races, but it's still racing :).

I am not a big fan of going to the races (I hate leaving feeling dirty), but from April 1st - mid-September I love listening to the races (we can hear them every Friday night). They start practicing at about 3:30, and we can hear them roaring around the track that is 1.5 miles away.

#35 ·
During the month of May, if you're anywhere in downtown Indy, you can hear the IndyCars over at the Speedway.

And I love sitting close enough to get covered in tire rubber. =)

#38 ·
We live just a few miles from the track at Daytona. During the 24 hour race you can hear them all night!! My son, a Fire Fighter, was working the Speedway for the races. He was assigned to the Pits so he did not fire that fire (because there was still fuel in the pits they are required to have Firefighters present) but they pulled most of the other crews for that one. They had just spent a future totally repaving the track, first time since it was opened in 1959, and did not want to see the new surface go up in flames!!!
Going to the races is fun, but you can see more of what is going on via TV coverage....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.