HELP!! Keeping my dog out of the fridge and Cabinets??
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HELP!! Keeping my dog out of the fridge and Cabinets??

EileenC is offline Junior Member

Default HELP!! Keeping my dog out of the fridge and Cabinets??

I need advice on how to stop my lab from getting into the fridge and cabinets.

Rocco, my very smart 4 year old chocolate lab gets into a ton of trouble during the day. I've tried baby locks, masking tape, duck tape, blocking the fridge and no matter what I do Rocco has learned to open the fridge and has even recently learned how to open pull out drawers with his paws. You have to see it to believe it. We used to think we were leaving the things open or not securing the fridge and drawers, but we tested our theory and he definately learned how to open the treat drawer. We tried baby locks, but they aren't strong enough and he breaks them. Duct tape doesnt last long enough. We have to change it everyday and If we forget to change it or tape it back up, we come home to a mess.

Not only is it the most fustrating thing in the world but we are worried about Rocco's safety. He got into the fridge yesterday and ate raw chicken, Cheese and almost ate an onion. The time before that he ate an enitre rotisserie chicken, bones and all.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to stop him??

kaytris is offline Senior Member

crate him, or close the door to the kitchen.

I have a fridge-opening lab, now nearly 12 years old, and he's locked in the bedroom when I'm not home.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

A crate. And obedience classes or something to redirect his energies. He obviously has far tooo much time on his hands.

EileenC is offline Junior Member

He is way to big to crate and both my husband and I feel crating is cruel. The kitchen cant be closed off. I'm looking for something to prevent him, some kind of lock or device. We have tried training, but he is his own dog and is very stubborn. He reminds me a lot of marley from Marley and Me.

Mary Jane is offline Senior Member

Crating isn't cruel, Mya loves her crate! It's....their dog cave! A lot of people here crate their dogs while they are gone. ESPECIALLY if they get into things while they are away. I would rather crate than let them get into something that may be hazardous to their health.

bearbuddymarie is offline Senior Member

what she ^ said !

I have double child locks on my cabinets for my 100 lb
    9 yr old boy who is like that !
    Buddy 11

bella 5

Bruno 3

kaytris is offline Senior Member

You can't train when you're not there.. the only thing left is management (or electrifying your appliances and counters, and I'm assuming if you think crating is cruel you won't want that option).

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by EileenC View Post
    He is way to big to crate and both my husband and I feel crating is cruel. The kitchen cant be closed off. I'm looking for something to prevent him, some kind of lock or device. We have tried training, but he is his own dog and is very stubborn. He reminds me a lot of marley from Marley and Me.
    My friend crates her Bull Mastiff. I doubt your dog is any bigger than he is. Crating is certainly not cruel - my younger Lab goes in and out of his crate all day - he loves it! I'd actually like to put it away as both of mine are reliable during the day/night - but I hate to deprive him of the comfort he clearly derives from his "cave".

IMO - Marley was a very poorly trained and managed dog. Sounds like you have one of those too. That requires change on the part of the owner to protect the well being of the dog. Being "stubborn" is not an option for any dog of mine. It's all about being consistent with training.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

Ditto to what Kaytris, Big Brown Dog, Mary Jane and others have said. Your dog is definitely not too big to crate, my 72# lab crates regularly.

Crating is not cruel but leaving them in an unsafe environment is at the very least irresponsible. As you fear, one of these days he could get into somethig that will make him very sick if not worse. There is no way to make him stop without management. He is getting rewarded with cheese, chicken or whatever else every time he does it. He's not going to stop on his own.

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

patm is offline Senior Member

It sounds like even if you manage to keep him out of the fridge and cubboards, he will go to something else to keep him occupied. Any dog who destroys or gets into things he isn't supposed to when left in the house alone simply can't be left loose in the house alone. I also really recommend crating, although if he is 4 years old and never been crated, then you might have tough time on your hands, especially if YOU look at it as cruel. If you can't shut off the kitchen, maybe you can relegate the dog to another room that CAN be shut off. I know you're not getting the response here that you were looking for, but you have bigger problems on your hands than a dog that gets into the fridge.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast