how much cooked chicken per pound of dog?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how much cooked chicken per pound of dog?

Saschagast is offline Junior Member

Default how much cooked chicken per pound of dog?

my yellow Lab Jake is about 70#, my brown Marley(he is better for now but many more tests) is 105 right now and I want to start feeding cooked chicken and rice and veggies.
    how much chicken meat would you guys give a 100# lab/day??

I might do raw-ish at some point, but right now I just wanna loose the kibble stuff

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

That is not a balanced diet for your dog, it is too high in phosphorus and too low in calcium. I would really suggest you do a bit more homework before jumping in, just to make certain your dog is getting an improvement in diet.

You could buy Wendy Volhard's book or Tom Lonsdale's. If you want to feed home prepared instead (not as convenient and not as health), then Richard Pitcairn might fit the bill. I also have a raw feeding guide for labradors available.
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

right now, I am feeding Merrick's BG, Salmon/buffalo/chicken.
    also with each feeding they are getting 1/2 can of merricks BG wet food.

so instead of cooked chicken/rice/veggies plus whatever else you suggest, would it be better to feed those raw paddies?

my dogs excitement level on kibble has always been kinda lame with my yellow lab, my chocolate lab loves anything.

so in short........what should I feed if I wanted to get away from kibble

You should feed raw.
    To be honest, when I first got my dogs off kibble, I tried the cooked diet route. I spent hours cooking grains on the stove, mixing it together, and feeling like I was making the right choice. That was around the time that Billinghurst came on the scene so after talking to Patty Ruzzo, I made the leap to raw. It was a bit frightening at first because you hear a lot of myths about raw feeding. I've now fed dozens of dogs raw for over a dozen years and I will never consider cooked or kibble again.

The issue with cooked is that it is just that: cooked. When you cook foods you rob them of important enzymes. You also make them carinogenic. On top of that, most cooked diets contain grains which are not species appropriate foods for dogs. Grains have been implicated in joint issues, cancers, allergies, bowel issues, etc., and as I learned more, I was anxious to get grains out of my dogs' diets.

If you email me at my regular address [email protected] I can send you a copy of Tom Lonsdale's book. You could also join Raw Feeding groups such as Rawlabrador and Raw Feeding to get you started.

I found out the hard way that cooking food is an expensive and time consuming way to marginally improve on kibble.
    Dana

- Anonymous

thank you so much, that is really what I would love to do, but don't know which raw route to go. pre made or from the store.

but yeah, i'd love to not have to cook anything, I don't even cook for myself that much

It is easy to buy most of what you need from the store if you only have one or two dogs. Premade is OK as long as it is animal only, no grains
    Dana

- Anonymous

I do have a Costco close by, but besides chicken, I wouldn't know what to buy there keeping a budget in mind.
    I am awaiting my 3rd dog, a little 1yr old shepherd mix, a rescue that was meant to be put down.

can I just buy whole raw chicken and cut it up? what kind of meat? what other markets could I go to to get decent deals and freeze some so I dont' have to shop every other day.

Dana, I really appreciate all your help

Chinese markets are excellent places to get things like pork necks, whole chickens, pork meat, organ meat and other cheap sources. You should also find a source for green tripe.
    There may be raw feeding co-ops in your area and that would be a good start. If you join one of those forums and ask about a co-op in your area, you might find one, they are large lists.
    I have a guide for feeding on my web site: http://www.fallriverlabs.com/Feeding...r%20Puppy.html
    It is dated and I feed a bit differently from that now but it is good to get you started. Basically, you need to balance your dog's meals out so that they resemble a whole animal like a chicken. Ideally, you will feed whole carcasses but that is not possible for everyone, so we try to assemble them piece by piece.
    You want to feed about 40% raw meaty bones (my web page says 50% but I have lowered that), 10 to 15% organ meat and the rest should be muscle meat. Start with one protein source such as chicken and gradually add more protein sources.
    You should either feed fish two times per week or if not, add a good quality cold water fish oil (not cod liver oil) and a good probiotic that is not from a dairy source. No other supplements should be necessary
    Read through the web page then let me know if you have any questions. Geez, I need to fix that page and get it back up on my site!!
    Dana

- Anonymous

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Dana do you think mercury is a concern with fish? I read somewhere that you shouldn't feed it more than twice a month due to concerns re: mercury levels.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Yes I do and I feed fish very rarely. But here's the rub, there is mercury in the fish oil too and unless you feed grass fed animals, you need the fish oil to balance out the high omega 6 content.
    What a world we live in
    Dana

- Anonymous

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast