Runny Stools
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Runny Stools

YellowLabProject is offline Senior Member

Default Runny Stools

Tiegan's stools have changed from solid to- partial solid and slimy to runny today. The majority of her meals are chicken necks and backs w/ dehydrated liver and beef hot dogs for training treats. The first time her stools changed to dark runny type, I discontinued the dry liver and it seemed to be working itself bakc to a solid mass and not so dark. I added mozzarella cheese to the beef franks for clicker training and then got very runny stool last time. This was about 2.5 to 3 hours after the training session, so I don't know if this stool is from the training session or last night's feeding.
    She is 8.5 weeks old now and only being fed raw for the last 6 days and cheese was added just this last training session about 3 hours ago.

Thanks,

Doug
    www.ecboardco.com

kallie is offline Member

Default Re: Runny Stools

I would lay off the cheese, you do not need to add that extra calcium to a pups diet. What MM is she getting? How much are you feeding? Try adding a tablespoon of PURE canned pumpkin, NOT pie filling, PURE..

Jen
    Emmi-Black Lab..Happy<br />Buster-Yellow Lab...Sleepy<br />Max-GSD...Doc<br />Argos-GSD mix...Sneezy<br />Annie-Aussie mix..Bashful<br />Lucky-Chi...Dopey<br />Jen-Human..hmm what&#39;s left...Grumpy<br />&amp; Kallie-GSD...Forever missed &amp; forever in my heart.

Jen,
    Thanks for your reply. I am feeding her twice a day, chicken necks in the morning, 3 to 4 and one chicken back in the evening. If I do clicker training that day, she gets one hotdog. Today is the first day for cheese. I don't know what MM stands for.

Doug
    www.ecboardco.com

kallie is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by YellowLabProject
    Kallie,
    Thanks for your reply. I am feeding her twice a day, chicken necks in the morning, 3 to 4 and one chicken back in the evening. If I do clicker training that day, she gets one hotdog. Today is the first day for cheese. I don't know what MM stands for.

Doug
    MM stands for Muscle Meat..OM, would be Organ Meat Well for one thing, you are not feeding any MM, you are only feeding RMB's..You are feeding too much bone, and not enough meat..I would cut that to a.m. of RMB's, which would be your backs and necks, then in the p.m. you need to feed her MM, such as beef without BONES..You can buy ground beef, etc..then I would eventually start adding OM, which if fed daily (which is what I do) it should be a VERY small portion to start off with..I'm talking like an ounce to start..How much weight wise are you feeding also? I know you say a few turkey necks, but they can vary in size. I get some HUGE turkey necks, that weigh 1lb a piece, my dogs get ONE of those.

I'm not trying to offend you here, but you really need to read a bit more on this diet. With you feeding RMB's twice daily, with NO MM, it just tells me you have not quite researched enough. It can be very dangerous, if you are not fully aware on how to feed this diet, especially with a puppy..

Jen

Emmi-Black Lab..Happy<br />Buster-Yellow Lab...Sleepy<br />Max-GSD...Doc<br />Argos-GSD mix...Sneezy<br />Annie-Aussie mix..Bashful<br />Lucky-Chi...Dopey<br />Jen-Human..hmm what&#39;s left...Grumpy<br />&amp; Kallie-GSD...Forever missed &amp; forever in my heart.

Thanks Jen,
    No offense taken. I will do more. I have done as much as I could prior to starting her on it, meaning I read Lonsdale- Work Wonders and am halfway through RMB now, but most of it that I have read discusses the whys not the what. I will dig deeper. Thanks for the advice. I will get some ground beef for tomorrow, and a food scale. What I have read up till now is that people feed their dogs until they stop eating. I was not doing that, just what seemed appropriate.

Doug
    www.ecboardco.com

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

If you haven't already Doug, I would suggest picking up Kymythy Schultze's "Natural Nutrition for dogs and cats", it's a very easy to understand, helpful read.

I've read Lonsdale's stuff and find him to be dismissive and biased. :-\
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

Doug, don't pick up the ground beef just yet. Stick to one protein source, so get some ground chicken and keep with the chicken until the stools are solid...then add a second protein source and wait till the stools are solid to add a third.
    Liver definitely causes loose stools so stay away from that for awhile.
    Lastly, why both going to the trouble of feeding a high quality diet if you are going to feed HOT DOGS as training treats ???
    Here is what I use: cubed steak and pork chops, low fat meatballs, cubed cheese, dried banana and apple slices. Cook some chicken up for training treats right now and cube it up until her stomach settles.
    Some dogs are also lactose intolerant and can't handle cheese.
    Now, for another perspective. In the last couple of weeks, this puppy has left her littermates, changed homes, changed routine, and changed diet. This creates stress and stress creates GI upset. Keep her diet as simple as possible until things settle, then worry about adding variety. Remember, balance over time 8)
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

kallie is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by YellowLabProject
    Thanks Jen,
    No offense taken. I will do more. I have done as much as I could prior to starting her on it, meaning I read Lonsdale- Work Wonders and am halfway through RMB now, but most of it that I have read discusses the whys not the what. I will dig deeper. Thanks for the advice. I will get some ground beef for tomorrow, and a food scale. What I have read up till now is that people feed their dogs until they stop eating. I was not doing that, just what seemed appropriate.

Doug
    Well I will address this comment, as it is wrong. Mine dogs will eat all DAY if I let them. Do NOT feed your dog till they stop eating..or you WILL have a problem on your hands. As with any diet you have to set an amount to feed. What % are you feeding? All this just leads me to believe that you have not got it down fully on what to do here. Please feel free to PM me

There is nothing wrong with adding another protein to this diet, the problem as I see it so far has nothing to do with the proteins, it has to do with what is actually being fed. There is no MM in this diet, besides training treats (hot dogs)..Adding two different proteins is fine..JMHO

Jen

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

There is nothing wrong with adding another protein to this diet, the problem as I see it so far has nothing to do with the proteins, it has to do with what is actually being fed. There is no MM in this diet, besides training treats (hot dogs)..Adding two different proteins is fine..JMHO
    Not sure I'd agree with this. Keep the diet as simple as possible with a GI upset. Feeding nothing but RMB will not create runny stools. WHen I started feeding raw ten or twelve years ago, we used to raise our puppies on 85% RMB ala Billinghurst.
    No loose stools at all.
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

Update: Good News.
    Tiegan had two solid poops today, no runs. I am going to monitor closely and maintain chicken only, avoiding the dehydrated liver and cheese until I have more positive results and then introduce one other treat source in at a time ensuring positive results. I am going to stick w/ the one protein source, (chicken) and debone and give as meat source only. Thanks for the advice Dana on the cooked chicken for the treats, I had queried others on the topic of treats and had only gotten liver as an answer. I was leary of cooked chicken, but since this will be a small part of her daily regimen it should be fine.
    Jen, thanks for your help. It helps me to re-think things and look further. I was not taking things for granted, but also have had no experience to go on until now, which as I wrote is only 6 days of this so far.

Best,

Doug
    www.ecboardco.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast