Help me not to worry...Raw question
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me not to worry...Raw question

Tia
    Tia is offline Senior Member

Default Help me not to worry...Raw question

Or maybe I should be worried ???

Gauge has been on Raw for a little over a month. I haven't been feeding him bones since it freaked me out the first time when he swallowed a chicken leg quarter whole. So during mealtime, I have been supplementing calcium via ground up eggshells.

Well I bought a rock cornish hen for Gauge and that is what he had for dinner tonight...the whole carcass...ate it all. He started off good by chewing and crunching the wings, but when he got to the legs he basically ripped them off and swallowed them whole. Kept eating the body chewing bits here and there but swallowed some pretty big chunks of meat and bone together.

Should I be worried about blockage? There were no problems with chicken leg quarter bone he first ate a month ago...but tonight he had a ton of bones.

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Help me not to worry...Raw question

No worries at all.
    Does this make you feel any better

Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

Tia

lol nice. I does take some getting used to though. Not like you see a dog eating and ripping apart a carcass everyday. One other question. I really don't want to deal with food aggression, as we did with our last dog. When we first got Gauge I'd run my hands through the kibble he was on and even hand feed him.

When I went to grab this hen tonight, he was growling at me. I did eventually get it away, made him sit and wait, then let him have it again. I understand that it is a valuable dinner, but I don't like it that he growls about this. So with feeding raw, I mean, should I just be leaving him alone? Or should I be hand feeding him for awhile? How should I deal with this?

jlab Guest

Tia,

What a wonderful thing you've done for your pup! As Dana said, no worries at all. I feed rock cornish hens all the time at all life stages. If feeding the whole carcass on a regular basis, there's no need for extra calcium supplements - he's getting exactly what he needs.

I wouldn't start grabbing at anything while he's eating - you might get bit. It's better if you get him in the habit of knowing that you own the food before he eats. When you put down his dish, stand between him and dish and don't let him eat until he sits or lays down and waits for several seconds for you to give the "OK" command. Once they understand, I'll even leave the room without giving the OK command and they'll still be sitting/laying there waiting for the OK even several minutes later. I can even come back in the middle of them eating and tell them to sit and then go and take their food away. It's really very easy to do this and also reenforces other training as well.

with feeding raw, I mean, should I just be leaving him alone?
    Absolutely not!! He is guarding the raw now because it is higher value for him than his old kibble 8)
    In addition to doing what Jlab outlined, you also need to do exchanges with him. Start by giving him lower value items and exchange a high value food for his lower value food and then return his food to him. Once he is fine with you taking OK food away from him, start taking his higher value food away. Give him something yummy for relinquishing it, then give it back to him.
    Food guarding is a natural behaviour to a dog and has nothing to do with rank or dominance. He is just being a dog. So your job is to teach him that sharing is cool and he will be just fine
    Dana

- Anonymous

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Dana, love that picture.

I have been feeding raw for about, oh, little over 5 years and yes, it was hard to get use to watching them eat the bones. We're so conditioned to bones being bad for dogs when it are bones that are cooked being bad. I love feeding raw.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Tia

Thanks for all of the great advice guys.

It just amazes me that all those bones can go in and yet everything still comes out normal on the other end!

I will try the trading food for better food. I'm sure this will do the trick as long as I'm consistent with it.

Thanks again everyone!

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I too found it very difficult feeding raw chicken. I am paranoid about Salmonella (sp) and was worried Ernie would spread it. I had no trouble with other meats fish etc.

Raw is so much better for them.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

brody is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kassabella
    Raw is so much better for them.
    for many of them - maybe even for most of them - but NOT for all of them and NOT all the time...

it is amazing to watch them go after a whole animal though eh?

makes their wild relatives suddenly appear in the kitchen
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do. H. Keller

for many of them - maybe even for most of them - but NOT for all of them and NOT all the time...
    Why do you think that raw is not suitable for every dog? If it weren't for kibble, our dogs wouldn't suffer from so much intestinal disease in the first place. Yes, in some dogs the damage is so irrepairable that changing to raw can be a challenge or even impossible, but the problem is not the raw food...it is the pre-existing damage.
    Sorry, but I couldn't let that slide...I know what you're saying, but it is not the raw that is the problem
    Dana

- Anonymous

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast