Just Labradors banner

Opinions wanted for rawdog

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  docdoo475 
#1 ·
I'm considering feeding Scout raw food, but I'm very squeamish about handling the raw meat, organs and necks. I found a local raw dogfood supplier that seems good. I'd like to try it, but wanted to get your opinion. Below are the ingredients they put in their raw dog food. This is chicken but they will also have a lamb and beef dogfood out shortly. Please give me honest opinions. Right now I'm feeding Orijen large breed puppy food. The ingredients are below.

Ingredients

Chicken & Vegetables

Chicken Meat, Ground Bone, Necks & Organ Meat: Chicken Meat is a highly digestible protein and contains essential amino acids - the building blocks for healthy growth and repair of the body. Containing natural levels of Calcium and Phosphorus. Also providing your dog with naturally occurring compounds Glucosamine and Chondroitin insure healthy joints.

Carrots: Carrots are good source of Thiamine, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Folate and Manganese, and a very good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K and Potassium. Carrots are an excellent source of antioxidant compounds, and the richest vegetable source of the pro-vitamin A carotene's. Carrots' antioxidant compounds help protect against cardiovascular disease and cancer and also promote good vision, especially night vision.

Apples: Apples are a great source of Vitamin A, Vitamin C and Dietary Fiber. Apples have been shown to help reduce blood cholesterol, improve bowel function, reduce risk of stroke, promote healthy lung functions due to the fiber and phytonutrients present in the apples.

Broccoli: A very good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin A, C, K, B6, Folate, Potassium and Manganese. Also a good source of added protein, Vitamin E, Thiamine, Riboflavin, Pantothenic Acid, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, and Phosphorous and Selenium. This has been shown to fend off cancer, osteoporosis, birth defects, and heart disease. It can also boost your immunity.

Spinach: Contains Niacin and Zinc, and a very good source of Dietary Fiber, Protein, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol), Vitamin K, Thiamine, Riboflavin, Vitamin B6, Folate, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Copper and Manganese.

Acorn Squash: Acorn Squash is a good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin A, Vitamin B6, Folate and Magnesium, and a very good source of Vitamin C, Thiamine, Potassium and Manganese. Acorn squash have been found to have anti-cancer type effects. specifically the ability to prevent cell mutations (cancer-like changes).

Beets: Beets are a good source of Vitamin C, Iron and Magnesium, and a very good source of Dietary Fiber, Folate, Potassium and Manganese. Beets are of great therapeutic value. They have properties to clean the kidneys and gall bladder.

Parsley: Parsley is a good source of Protein, Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol), Thiamine, Riboflavin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Pantothenic Acid, Phosphorus and Zinc, and a very good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Folate, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Potassium, Copper and Manganese. Parsley's volatile oils-particularly myristicin-have been shown to inhibit tumor formation in animal studies, and particularly, tumor formation in the lungs. Folic acid is also a critical nutrient for proper cell division and is therefore vitally important for cancer-prevention in two areas of the body that contain rapidly dividing cells.

Blueberries: This food is very low in Saturated Fat, Cholesterol and Sodium. It is also a good source of Dietary Fiber, and a very good source of Vitamin C, Vitamin K and Manganese. Blueberries are not only a powerful antioxidant but also have been proved to preserve vision

Cod Liver Oil: This food is very low in Sodium. It is also a very good source of Vitamin A and Vitamin D. It also provides your dog with omega-3 fatty acids. These are essential for the healthy function of the brain, the heart, the joints, the digestive system and many other systems of the body. Another benefit of cod liver oil is related to its vitamin E content, which helps the body process the fatty acids, is an essential antioxidant and promotes the health of the skin and coat.

Brewers Yeast: Brewer's yeast contains essential B vitamins including biotin, minerals including zinc, and high quality proteins. These assist in the control of shedding and promote a healthy skin and hair coat and will stimulate the immune system.

Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't feed a lot of veggies. Most raw feeders now a days don't think dogs need much veggies at all. More the old raw feeders feed a lot of veggies. I also don't feed spinace cause it can hinder the absorption of calcium. I will give the boys some blueberries, bananas, carrots if I am getting some for us, but they'll go weeks without veggies. I am more concerned about meat and bone.

#5 ·
Thanks again Susan. I think for now I will stick with the LBP Orijen and keep looking. My pup loves Orijen and at least it is a no grain product with human grade meat. Someday I would like to feed raw, but need to get over my squeamishness in dealing with raw and organ meats. I need to build up some confidence that I can feed him appropriately on a raw diet. I just don't know enough now.

#7 ·
I like Nature's Variety, and I also feed Bravo (original formula), and Honest Kitchen too. The Honest Kitchen is a dehydrated product that you add water too (it has the meat in it) or you can add more meat if you wish. That is how I started to feed raw because it was so convenient while I was getting used to the idea. I still feed kibble in the mornings because I can not think in the mornings.

http://www.bravorawdiet.com/index.html

http://www.thehonestkitchen.com/products/?gclid=CLfBhM_Vw5sCFRIeDQodlWRSAQ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.