Halo vs Blue Buffalo vs Orijen
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Halo vs Blue Buffalo vs Orijen

BolandSHB is offline Junior Member

Default Halo vs Blue Buffalo vs Orijen

Hello

I wanted to know thoughts about these three brands. I'm trying to pick the best... I currently feed my little guy Halo, but I wanted to make sure that it's right for him. I've read really good reviews about each and wanted to know what y'all think?

I cannot say which is best, I know 3 people I work with including a breeder all feed blue buffalo, my brother and I also use blue.

When I spoke to my Vet about it, he says it's all good marketing. ...I continued using blue and will do so until our puppy is at least fully grown.

Look Here dogfoodadvisor

with all that being said, always research what people, vets, and forums tell you.
    Last edited by EpicStageFright; 11-08-2012 at 09:56 PM. Reason: spelling
    ~Paul

Nutshell is offline Member

I just checked out Halo, looks pretty good. I feed Acana (same company as Orijen) and my puppy does great on it. I have been feeding it to him since 10 weeks old. I think all 3 are good, Orijen is really high in protein (38%). Not that 38% is bad but some dogs find it tough to tolerate. All three are good, If these are the three choices you have I would go with Halo. American made in a USDA inspected plant (location is proprietary info) and no recalls.

Jayghf1978 is offline Junior Member

Hi, I'm jay.

When I first got my Chopper I was overly paranoid about doing the best job I possibly could including feeding. After weeks of intense research I chose blue buffalo as it has no recent recall history, high grade of product, and still very affordable. Eventually I realize I was over thinking this. After experiencing different products I cannot say I really feel major differences from one product to another. As long as the brand you are feeding is reputable, and your dog has decent appetite towards it, you are really over analysing the food. As i was once.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayghf1978 View Post
    Hi, I'm jay.

When I first got my Chopper I was overly paranoid about doing the best job I possibly could including feeding. After weeks of intense research I chose blue buffalo as it has no recent recall history, high grade of product, and still very affordable. Eventually I realize I was over thinking this. After experiencing different products I cannot say I really feel major differences from one product to another. As long as the brand you are feeding is reputable, and your dog has decent appetite towards it, you are really over analyzing the food. As i was once.
    I agree with the over analyzing part. My vet did mention food with too much protein is not the best for puppies, he mentioned that with all that protein they need plenty of water for kidney health. I was told by another source that you do not want too much protein because the puppy will grow too fast and put too much on their joints.

good idea to research that...
    Last edited by EpicStageFright; 11-09-2012 at 07:53 PM. Reason: spelling
    ~Paul

BolandSHB is offline Junior Member

Y'all were pretty spot on- I may have been somewhat over worrying about my little guy! He's my first pet so I'm grateful to get a real perspective on pet care Halo is working out really well and he likes it a lot- I've noticed that if he doesn't like what I give him he will spit it out. And as for holistic food, this brand is a tiny bit cheaper (they email coupons weekly!), so I think I'm doing a pretty good job so far

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Please also realize that you will have periods where your puppy might not appear to like the food - most go through stages where they eat more slowly or are less eager to eat. Don't start adding in extras or changing the food when that happens (unless you suspect that the bag is "off"). You can create a picky eater by doing this and many people change foods with great frequency to the detriment of the dog.

Mine have been on the same quality food for years now with great results and I don't add anything at all to it. But, the younger one did go through a period where he seemed completely disinterested in it - I just waited him out and we have no food issues now.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

my2labs is offline Senior Member

Mo is on Fromm's large breed puppy but when he turns 6 months, I might switch him to the Blue Buffalo Salmon adult food. I like the review and Mo has some itchy skin that our vet said fish oil might help control.

Sam 9-27-07

Mojo 7-6-12

KYMMEYC is offline Junior Member

It's hard to say which food will work best for your dog. I agree with the others, lots of research and trial and error. I used to feed Blue Buffalo to my Bloodhound that had allergies and finding a food that worked wasn't easy. There seems to be quite a bit of people who have problems with Blue Buffalo foods, not sure if its just related to new batches of food or coincidental. The Blue foods made my dogs gassy and Natural Balance made my dogs head smell horribly (I wonder why it did that) and she had at least 4 HUGE bowel movements each day, so now I am on Artemis. It is working well. Some foods are just to rich for some dogs, just like people.

sally's mom is offline Junior Member

Prior to having our Lab, we had another mixed breed dog who had serious digestive issues. We spent $1,000's and eventually had biopsy work done at Tufts Vet School. It was heart breaking to see him struggling with food. We eventually kept him on a diet of boiled white rice and baked chicken breasts. Many years later, Sally (Lab) was started with a recommendation of Purina One from the Vet and within a few weeks she was itching, losing fur. She has been on Blue Buffalo for the past 6 years. Bowel movements are consistent, coat is lovely and just the usual nervous licking every once in a while. It is very easy to overfeed a dog and that's where you could run into digestive issues. Follow the parameters on the food bag and use good judgement. Stay far away from processed foods and don't trust any marketing gimmicks.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast