Need some help on kibble - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need some help on kibble

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I would try it more but wow is it expensive. $80 a bag here (which is good maybe 3 weeks??). insanity! I didn't think I had a limit for dog food but - I found it LOL! (if I had a dog with health issues that is one thing but...)
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I've been feeding Wellness CORE for a few years and never had a single problem bag.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    I would try it more but wow is it expensive. $80 a bag here (which is good maybe 3 weeks??). insanity! I didn't think I had a limit for dog food but - I found it LOL! (if I had a dog with health issues that is one thing but...)

Ouch!!!
    It is alot cheaper here...$53 a bag.
    Plus I get it at Agway, which usually offers $5 off pet food coupons once a month.
    Fromm has a promotion going on right now for their 2 new grain free formulas...buy a 12 lb bag any formula, get a 4.4 lb bag of the one of the new formulas FREE. Needless to say....I stocked up and got 4 free bags of food.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

LOL yeah I got that deal two weeks ago - picked up the new bird one (and got the second bag). The store had to tell me about it as I would have left not knowing any better!
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

ladylola is offline Junior Member

Not sure where you live and don't know if this one will be available to you but we currently have our Lab on Horizon Pulsar pulses and fish formula, and she is doing great on it. I think it is made in Saskatchewan, Canada, and is inexpensive.
    Melissa & Lola (the Lab)

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

That is what we feed too.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

my2labs is offline Senior Member

Abbey is on Earthborn and loves it and Mo is on large breed puppy from Fromm and will stay on that when he gets to be an adult.

Sam 9-27-07

Mojo 7-6-12

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

"Diamond" (along with many other brands) is made by Schell & Kampeter, home office in Meta, MO.

In addition to TOTW, Chicken Soup, Diamond Naturals, Diamond, and many other brands (or special foods sold under many other brand names), they also make products for Costco, sold under the brand name "Kirkland". These include dog kibbles, dog & cat canned foods, treats, etc. Their "Kirkland" products (& sub-contracted products under other names) are sold world-wide.

S&K, like dozens of other pet food companies (including, IIRC, ALL of the major national companies) a few years ago had to recall products that contained some ingredients from China that were found to contain melamine, a contaminant toxic to animals.

S&K products are manufactured in 3 USA plants -- one in Gaston, SC, another in Meta, MO, and the third farther west -- I don't remember where.

The S&K plant in Gaston, SC, has had several problems in quality control. They did not adequately sample a load of corn used in some products -- it contained aflatoxins which sickened some dogs, killed others, and required a recall.

Recently this Gaston, SC, plant had a similar problem in failing to detect another contamination which also sickened or killed some pets.

As best I know--and I've fed "Kirkland" for 10 years -- except for the problem with those Chinese ingredients almost a decade ago, these quality control problems have NEVER been associated with any other S&K plant during at least the last 12 years (which covers my span of intense attention) OTHER THAN the Gaston, SC, plant. That plant provides product primarily to the eastern seaboard (and some of the eastern middle USA section).

As best I recall, I pay about $28 for a 40 lb. bag of Kirkland.

It has no corn or wheat. It does have a modicum of oatmeal and barley.

I VERY much like its ingredients, quality -- and price.

BUT, to be cautious, I buy a new bag of dog food (now Kirkland Mature Dog) about 40-60 days before I'll need to open it and start feeding it.

That gives time enough for complaints to be registered, recall notices to be posted, for any bag I have in waiting.

Works OK for us.

ETA: This link gives a little more information: Diamond Pet Foods - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ETA #2: The above link doesn't cover the VERY wide recall (2007) of pet food products contaminated by the Chinese melamine that affected some pet food products from these companies/brands and possibly others:
    Nestle-Purina (Alpo), Menu, Del Monte, Hill's Science Diet, Royal Canin, Blue Buffalo, Drs. Foster & Smith, S&K's Diamond, Chicken Soup, & Kirkland.

This does: 2007 pet food recalls - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Bob Pr.; 09-08-2012 at 03:00 PM.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

ladylola is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Luvmydog2much View Post
    That is what we feed too.
    Lola loves it!!
    Melissa & Lola (the Lab)

jparker is offline Junior Member

^^ two above with Bob, I agree about how good the Kirkland is and they have added grain free that is highly rated by dog food advisor with all kinds of desirable ingredients. I see I never followed up on the Orijen experiment- we saw heavy runs with this and we may not have given it long enough but we don't like our girl to go liquid. We switched to TOTW canned and that didn't seem to change anything, Acana and then finally to the Kirkland Grain Free. Her runs cleared up, her coat is still great, soft and shiny like with raw although she does get fish oil supplements and we like to give her cottage cheese, pumpkin, sardines, meats and other stuff along with her kibble to provide additional moisture. Her stool is firm and not much larger than raw now, and the food is only about 35 bucks for the big bag in Quebec. The Kirkland comes in Salmon and Sweet Potato or Chicken and Sweet Potato.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12