The ones left behind
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The ones left behind

Brette is offline Senior Member

DefaultThe ones left behind

I picked up a dog from a backyard breeder on behalf of my rescue group over the weekend and all I can think about are the ones I left there. They were pugs, piled in wire cages in a cold, dark shed. It was a very quiet place because the breeder had all their vocal cords cut. I had to smile and act fine with what I was seeing in the hopes that this piece of %$@# would hand the rest of her dogs over to me at some point. I've dealt with owner surrenders for the most part so this was unnerving. Anyone have any tips for how to not dwell on the ones you left there?

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Oh my goodness! Cutting vocal cords! I can't even imagine! Isn't this animal abuse? Why haven't the police or the ASPCA stepped in? This guy needs to be in jail!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

The cutting of vocal cords which I remember hearing first when I was young just made me sick and furious!! It still does.
    There is no way to forget that kind of abuse, sad to say. I pray the scum will pay for what she has done and that the remainder of the dogs will be rescued.

Thanks for saving the ones you could.
    Last edited by MidwestGirl; 10-16-2012 at 10:43 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

Sorry, I don't have any advice for you. It is disgusting that someone could keep their dogs like that, and think that it was perfectly normal. That is so sad! Thanks for what you do.

Was this an older dog that was no longer needed for breeding?
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

A lot of these people who run puppy mills (and some BYB) see the dogs as livestock - not as pets or beings with feelings. They are the means to making a living and that's all.

That's why it is SO important to keep delivering the message and educating people about buying from responsible reputable breeders only OR adopting from shelters. Uninformed consumers keep mills and BYBs in business and make their trade profitable and are in effect complicit in the abuse.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Brette is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BauersMom View Post

Was this an older dog that was no longer needed for breeding?
    Yeah a 5 year old female that the breeder was done with. The rescue group will have her spayed, have her teeth cleaned and the rotten ones removed. Her foster mom already gave her a nice warm bath, some good food and a cozy bed. She'll be spoiled from here on out. I just want to get the other ones out of there so badly. It's really bothering me.

TBGSAM is offline Senior Member

I would make a call to the ASPCA or local news get this person fined and jailed for the conditions the dogs are in.

My little Tootsie had her vocal cords cut too. I hope the rest of the pups make it out and find loving forever homes.
    Coleman - CGC blk lab 6/02/97-2/25/08 adopted
    Tootsie - choc lab 10/19/99-8/03/13 adopted
    Bailey - CGC newf/fc 7/12/00-07/15/14 rescued
    Ginger - BT 11/16/05 rescued
    Sarah - blk lab 6/22/06 rescued
    rescued felines - AJ - 8/00 - 1/11, Merlin - 5/20/05, Tucker - 8/3/10, Penny - 7/7/13

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

I would image there is a community interest story in there somehow. Aren't shutting down puppy mills big stories these days?

lisa is offline Senior Member

Report this to your local animal control or ASPCA. This is animal cruelty in my opinion.

Carolinagirl is offline Senior Member

My heart breaks reading this. I pray the other dogs can be saved from this horrible life. I will also pray for that BYB and hope he/she decides to do the right thing for all of the dogs. Thanks for saving the one that you did. Sounds like she is already a queen in her new home.

When we adopted Jack, I was worried something like that had happened to him b/c he never barked. One night he went out in our backyard to potty and there was an opossum out there. He barked at it twice as he was chasing it, so we knew he was fine....just quiet. I was so thankful.
    Nicole & Jack (rescue @ 3 years old)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast