As my beautiful Nelli Bell approaches 6 mths. I have been reading several different opinions on when to have her spayed. Our vet recommends around her 6 mth checkup. I have read here that current research suggests that you should wait 3 mths after first heat. Could anyone here tell me why the wait? I'm just curious. It's really hard to find a vet here that is up to date on all the latest research and treatments for pups. I just want to do the right thing. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks you guys.
Views are mixed.
Research on the web that I have done as well as with assistance from this board indicates to me that any altering of a dog or bitch before their growth plates close over can be linked to growth issues/joint problems when they are older. I would prefer to wait until my girl is fully grown to ensure she doesn't have any growth and or related joint issues and with Milly at just over 11 months old, we've just gone through her first heat cycle. We are hoping to spay her around March/April which will put her at about 15 months of age.
I think you will find that vets in general take a "public health" stance on spay and neuter policy in that it should be done as early as possible in order to avoid unwanted puppies further clogging up the shelters. They have a global viewpoint. That viewpoint says that the average owner is not aware or responsible enough to adequately shield their female from males intent on breeding and that unintended pregnancies will result.
As an individual you have to weigh your ability to properly avoid an unplanned breeding against the benefits of allowing your girl to mature fully. It's your dog and you have the right to choose when to spay her - just be aware that having a bitch in heat around is not a picnic and males will try very, very hard to get to her.
I personally feel like the vets have a solid point. You may be the exception and be properly responsible - but in general I agree with spaying at 6 months. (but if it were my dog - I would allow him/her to grow up first)
Around 1 yr is what I would recommend
Ditto! Excellent response!Originally Posted by BigBrownDog
Micon's Tenaya Winter Dream CD, RN, CGC
UCD, URO1 Blacklamb's Lady Cabernet CD, RAE, WC, CGC
Wynmar's Just Like Heaven RA, CGC
UCH Canyon's I'm the Man CGC
UGRCH Canyon's Roshambo RN, CGC
Good question my Checka just hit nine months and my belly rubs are getting more like check ups! Here my normal vet said wait till at least on year... go through first heat.. his words were she needs her ovaries (did not deign to explain why as I am just a stupid dog owner..luckily I already had around a year in my head, for reasons also suggested above re growth etc,). Second vet; new to area, quite newly qualified, recommended by friends, very smart clean state of the art surgery (rare here) said are you sure you want to spay her if shes a pure lab?... wouldnt you like her to have puppies, they are easy to sell, ... ensured he was deleted from my address book!
The more people I meet the more I like my dog
I've had labs all my life, my current 3 being #'s 6,7 & 8, but #8, Jasmine, is my first bitch in all those years.
When talking to my breeder, whom i've had all my dogs off over the past 30 years, she said to wait until Jasmine has had her first season then 3 months after that as it can cause incontinence if done too early.
Not sure if anyone else has heard that, but those will be the rules i'll be following.
"some days you are the dog, some days you are the tree!"
Kate mom to Jed Jasmine and Joelly
I've not only heard it but seen it in action in a friend girl - so, I'd wait too.
This is really interesting. But what about boys?
Also, our vet recommended waiting to microchip Tobey until he was already under to get fixed. Do we wait for that too?