Bandage or let dog lick and heal wound on its own.....
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bandage or let dog lick and heal wound on its own.....

My Sam is offline Member

Default Bandage or let dog lick and heal wound on its own.....

Hi-

My dog Sam got a little wound on the top of his hind foot while swimming. Its a small area and pink skin, no blood or tear. He has been licking it a LOT. I bought some tribiotics at the feed store and put it on for a week. I did see some healing but it was taking forever. The little wound is not swollen and he runs and plays without limping or soreness. Three weeks later I couldn't stand waiting anymore for healing so I took him to the vet's. She gave me some antibiotics and took a small sample from the wound. She said all the cells were in healing mode. She wrapped his paw and I've been wrapping a non-stick bandage, then gauze and them the self adhesive wrap tops the gauze. It looks really pretty until the first time he runs or chases his ball. The vet said he needs exercise and swimming,..and to keep putting on the ointment she gave me and keep wrapping it.

Sorry so long.....my sister who raises goldens..said leave the little wound alone, let him lick and let it heal on its own. What do you guys think? Which way does a little wound like this heal quicker?

Thanks for your input.

Julie

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Bandage or let dog lick and heal wound on its own.....

With a wound that minor, it depends on the dog. Our old guy, Mick, never would have left it alone. He would have kept licking it until it became infected. So, for him, I would have wrapped it in some VetWrap and sprayed some Fooey on the wrap. Caleb would most likely leave it alone, so he'd just get the medicine put on it.

imported_queenofthedogs is offline Senior Member

agree totally that it depends on the dog...their tongues are quite abrasive, and their saliva is much more powewrful than ours...that wound, with a 'liccky' dog, will never heal, just grow bigger & bigger until you have a mess [$$$!!!] on your hands.
    can you supervise him while awake--maybe keep a leash attaching him to you indoors & out, and tell him to 'leave it'? or wrap, user an elizabethian collar while you sleep? they can heal quite quickly, altho i have never heard a vet [minimum 3 dogs over 20+ years] use the phrase cells in ''heal mode'', and have no idea what she meant--just that it looks like it's clean, maybe?

millstonekennel is offline Senior Member

Put an e-collar on him and let the wound air dry. He needs to keep his tongue off it and no swimming until it is healed.
    Alicia

imported_bacatherine is offline Senior Member

I agree if he's licking it I would either wrap it or use an e-collar to keep him from messing with it. Also keep it dry no swimming until it heals. It shouldn't take long once you get him to leave it alone.
    <br />Barbara, Mocha, Zeus, &amp; Smeagol

+ Reply to Thread