Exactly how contagious is sarcoptic mange??
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exactly how contagious is sarcoptic mange??

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Default Exactly how contagious is sarcoptic mange??

There was a rottweiler X doberman at the dog park this morning, and I'd bet any amount of money that she has sarcoptic mange. Her skin was gross, hair was so thin that she was grey where she should be black. You could clearly see her skin through her uber-thin haircoat.

I'm no vet, but did enough research on mange when Peanut had demodex as a pup to know the general differences between the "look" of the two. I suppose it could have been demodex (I hope!!) but it really looked more like that sarcoptic variety to me. :scare:

Assuming she did have sarcoptic mange, how much of a risk is there to my dogs of catching it from playing with her?? Is there anything I should do to try and circumvent it?? Bath with medicated shampoo.... anything??

Oye. :death:
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

labby is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Exactly how contagious is sarcoptic mange??

Very. Do a Google on How contagious is sarcoptic mange and you'll find lots of info.

Laura

everydog is offline Senior Member

In my experience, a dog with that degree of sarcoptic mange would not be able to stop scratching long enough to play with another dog!

brody is offline Senior Member

it is very -

I'd give baths anyhow as it will make you feel a little better and it's hot enough to be fun for everybody

however there are a LOT of conditions that echo the look of mange - were you to play with Thea today you'd think she had manage as well - she has thin hair generally and now has raw elbows and even thinner then usualfor her face and legs and feet

she has been scraped and tested more then I can afford and it seems to be allergies (at 5 to start with allergies just seems unfair) but she's looking mangy

I've seen plenty of dobs in particular with really thin hair

hang in there and watch your guys as carefully as you usually do
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do. H. Keller

I thought I responded to this thread before..? I'm pretty sure I did... weird!! :surprise:

This dog was not itchy at all, so I'm hoping it wasn't sarcoptic mange after all...

Andrea I saw those agility pics of Thea and this dog probably had 1/4 of the hair she does (proportionally speaking...). It was odd, like, uniform hair loss all over her body.... Her owner was totally clueless and didn't see a problem at all, so I didn't ask. :ugly:
    Kate
    We're Superdogs!

brody is offline Senior Member

if the owner didn't see a problem at all that actually worries me a bit more

while scarcoptic mange is very itchy at first - usually itchy enough to drive people to vets in fact we've had a couple of completely itchless dogs come in through rescue that have been near bald - we think cushings often we see that but twice it has been unbelievable mange infections

the skin in one was infected and red but the other was a shocker to the vet (who nearly didn't do a scraping) as the dog apart from general hair loss was showing no mange signs at all

however I'm currently putting money on it being something else as if the owner was that clueless I doubt the poor dog went through the traditional ITCHY symptoms

cheers
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do. H. Keller

Callaway is offline Senior Member

Could be that if the dog was treated the hair just hasnt grown back yet. I would still keep an eye out, I think you could get it too.

Courtney, Bogey and Calli

I'd imagine that this is either something that happened very gradually, or the owner is just an idiot. (based on his behaviour and talking to him, VERY likely it was the latter. :whatever

I can say that if she were mine I would be very VERY concerned for her. It looked like she would be totally bald very soon.

So far so good, Baloo got a good hose off when we got home and Peanut didn't really go near her. Nobody's itchy. Yet. *fingers crossed*!!
    Kate
    We're Superdogs!

Snowflake is offline Senior Member

Sarcoptic mange is not only very contagious to other dogs, it's very contagious to HUMANS!! On humans, it's called scabies.

We had a Beagle many, many moons ago and she picked it up from somewhere. I took her to the vet to have it checked. He said two profound things:

1) It is extremely difficult and expensive to get rid of.
    and
    2) Do a lot of hand washing because it can be transmitted to humans as scabies.

Now, I had, over the past few days, noticed a red, itchy rash on my stomach. So when he said this, I lifted up my blouse to show him my stomach (how many vets have THAT happen??), and he said, "Yep, you've got it." I had to go to my doctor.

So, that's my scarcoptic mange story!

Quote Originally Posted by snowflake
    Sarcoptic mange is not only very contagious to other dogs, it's very contagious to HUMANS!! On humans, it's called scabies.

We had a Beagle many, many moons ago and she picked it up from somewhere. I took her to the vet to have it checked. He said two profound things:

1) It is extremely difficult and expensive to get rid of.
    and
    2) Do a lot of hand washing because it can be transmitted to humans as scabies.

Now, I had, over the past few days, noticed a red, itchy rash on my stomach. So when he said this, I lifted up my blouse to show him my stomach (how many vets have THAT happen??), and he said, "Yep, you've got it." I had to go to my doctor.

So, that's my scarcoptic mange story!
    EEeek! :surprise:

How long before you noticed the rash?
    Kate
    We're Superdogs!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast