My Dog Is Obsessed With Food!!!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Dog Is Obsessed With Food!!!

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

Default My Dog Is Obsessed With Food!!!

I know most labs are extremely food-motivated, but lately I'm starting to wonder/worry about Breezy. When there's food around she can think about nothing else. If I'm out playing, walking, or training her and have treats in my pocket, she is so focused on the treats she can barely think about anything else. If I'm cooking dinner she is right there, on my feet practically, lusting after the food. When it's time for her dinner or breakfast, she gobbles it up like she hasn't eaten in days! If my husband and I are eating OUR dinner, she'll lay there watching us, drooling like mad. How much of this is normal lab behavior, and at what point do I start to worry about something, such as tapeworms? Luckily, she has a vet appointment tomorrow so I'll ask the vet all this, but in the meantime I thought I'd see what you guys think. Thanks.

Catherine

JustineNYC Guest

Default Re: My Dog Is Obsessed With Food!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bebopalula
    I know most labs are extremely food-motivated, but lately I'm starting to wonder/worry about Breezy. When there's food around she can think about nothing else. If I'm out playing, walking, or training her and have treats in my pocket, she is so focused on the treats she can barely think about anything else. If I'm cooking dinner she is right there, on my feet practically, lusting after the food. When it's time for her dinner or breakfast, she gobbles it up like she hasn't eaten in days! If my husband and I are eating OUR dinner, she'll lay there watching us, drooling like mad. How much of this is normal lab behavior, and at what point do I start to worry about something, such as tapeworms? Luckily, she has a vet appointment tomorrow so I'll ask the vet all this, but in the meantime I thought I'd see what you guys think. Thanks.

Catherine
    While I dont think there is harm in checking with a vet....that pretty much sounds like my dogs, especially the older one. I had to teach Dale that I do not like him in the kitchen when Im cooking. It makes me nervous because hes the kind of dog that will take whatever right off the stove the moment I turn my back. My grandpa whos passed away now was a big cook and hes lost many trays of baked ziti to Dale. They try to eat the cats food. And yes when i eat he sits there and watches me and drools. After a while now that hes older he realizes when he isnt going to get any and hell lay down.

But they definitely love food. Dales 3rd birthday dad was bringing a tray of raw chop meat down the stairs to be BBQ'd. Dale chopped him behind his legs, made him fall and there was meat everywhere. I never believed that was an accident.

labby is offline Senior Member

Sounds like my house. Libby is my drooler. She sits and drools anytime anyone eats around here.
    Laura

imported_bacatherine is offline Senior Member

Sounds exactly like Mocha. Same thing on walks and while we're eating she has this huge drool string going on :-X. When I'm cooking she lays next to me and stares intently. If I even start to go toward the treat cabinet she's there in an instant by my side.
    Zeus not so much he could care less sometimes and others he's right beside Mocha.
    <br />Barbara, Mocha, Zeus, &amp; Smeagol

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Sounds like my beloved Bess.

The only thing that trumped food for her was retrieving/fetching. No food could ever be left unguarded on a counter or anywhere. No one could ever eat anything in her presence without generating cascading ropes of drool from her mouth and plaintive begging.

Unlike Bess, while Puff likes her food at breakfast and supper -- and doesn't mind getting her share of between meal snacks I eat -- she's never been so food obsessed and never begs for any of my food at mealtime.

Your Lab sounds normal to me.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

imported_ChowHound is offline Senior Member

Well, this all sounds very familiar to me.

Shelby has a special woe-is-me-I'm-soooo-hungry look that she uses anytime we are eating. In fact, it's about the most pathetic (and at the same time irresistible!;D) face I've ever seen.

<br />~ Laurie &amp; Shelby ~

imported_gabbys mom is offline Senior Member

Sounds like a Lab.
    <br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

First it sounds exactly like HK minus the drooling, but I am anticipating that starting.

I general have a bag of training treat in my jacket pocket. Since my primary outside work is recall and reinforcement, they are high value (significant odor) treats.

Once or twice, I have gone into the dog park forgetting to leave them in the car. What happens? Any Lab (and only Labs) tha get within 15 feet of me suffer from 'Nose Attached To Pocket' syndrome.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

I have one like that. Always has been. Thats my Cinder. I have notice lately that even if she is not in the room where the treat jar is and I open it up and get one out, by the time I get into the living room to give it to her she has strings of drool. LOL
    She IS food obessed. She will eat until she dies and I mean that literally. She has no shut off.
    Kim

Eileeno is offline Member

Sounds like Rocco drool and all. When we first go him my family didn't believe I was feeding him over 5 cups a day and insisted that I wasnt feeding him enough. when he went to my moms house they would feed him because he was always searching for food and still is... from his pictures you can tell he is a well feed boy but you wouldnt know it from his actions around food. Rocco's favorite thing is food.
    Rocco&#39;s Mom<br /><br />

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast