What are chocolate labs prone to?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What are chocolate labs prone to?

lablover88 is offline Member

Default What are chocolate labs prone to?

Hello all-

So, I am planning on adding a chocolate lab to my family next December (yes.....I'm excited and I'm already doing my research). I have a yellow lab right now. I have been hearing stories from people about how chocolate labs are prone to seizures. Is this true? I searched through the past threads and didn't see anything specifically addressing chocolates. Is it true that one color is more prone to certain diseases than others? Also, are there any questions or signs I should be inquiring about from breeders to prevent getting a chocolate who might have these problems? My yellow is perfectly healthy (knock on wood) and I've never had any such problems with him. But, I got lucky because I bought him from the first breeder I visited without doing much research. I want to make sure that my second addition is just as perfect as my yellow.......meaning no health problems!! Thoughts?

imported_bacatherine is offline Senior Member

Default Re: What are chocolate labs prone to?

A well bred chocolate lab has the same chance of health problems as any other color. Hopefully that's minimized by the breeder doing some testing of the parents but there is no full proof way to make sure they are healthy. With any color.

I have a chocolate and have the a whole range of stories and myths. A lot of people say they are more agressive or harder to train. I beleive this comes from BYB's they breed for color not for temperment and health so you get more with temperment and health issues.

I beleive Labby has a friend that breeds chocolates they may not be near you but they could probably give you a breeder closer to you to contact that would be a good starting point.
    <br />Barbara, Mocha, Zeus, &amp; Smeagol

labby is offline Senior Member

They're prone to melting in the sun.

Seriously, the chocolate gene is NOT connected to health. No different than saying a blond has more health problems than a brunette. There are, however, no guarantees that ANY Lab regardless of color won't end up with a health problem. Breeding isn't an exact science and sometimes *stuff* just happens. All breeders have had problems at one time or another and any who says that they haven't is either lying or hasn't produced enough litters.
    Laura

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

What they said!!! The only "problem" with chocolates is that I think you really have to be extra careful when researching breeders. I think alot of BYB's are still breeding chocolates because they are pretty popular in the pet-world. Just take that extra time to check clearances, verify them by using the tools available, and you'll end up with a nice dog!

Dani is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labby
    They're prone to melting in the sun.

Seriously, the chocolate gene is NOT connected to health. No different than saying a blond has more health problems than a brunette. There are, however, no guarantees that ANY Lab regardless of color won't end up with a health problem. Breeding isn't an exact science and sometimes *stuff* just happens. All breeders have had problems at one time or another and any who says that they haven't is either lying or hasn't produced enough litters.
    +1

And you already have a chocolate pigmented yellow anyways. I think that many people actually believe that each color lab is it's own breed. Not so. Labs are labs, no matter what the color is and they are all prone to the same issues.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

labby is offline Senior Member

Gee, I answered correctly?
    Laura

lablover88 is offline Member

Good to know! Thanks all! ;D

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

I echo being very careful w/ breeders esp if it appears they are breeding "chocolates" primarily. Too many people are still breeding for color, and I have to admit, there is some hot demand for chocolates right now driving that decision. Many of the litters I see advertised, I'd not gamble on personally. PRA carriers and possibly other health issues like allergies appear to be more abundant within the chocolate gene pool. (Note-- don't shoot me! Other breeders trying to get nice, healthy chocs have agreed, and I too have some carriers for PRA so I speak w/ some experience here!!!). That said, there are breeders willing to take the longer and sometimes more expensive route to develop nice lines. I'd make sure at least one parent is Optigen clear for PRA in addition to all the other clearances, and ask all the other good questions regarding allergies, cancer/longevity, etc, in the lines too.

I'd find a breeder who has the type of lab you really like (go to their place and meet all their dogs too, just to be sure of temperament as well), and ask to be put on their waiting list. I've had folks waiting 6-12 mos here for a choc pup. I will only take "so many" chocolate-specific requests as I'm only likely to get ~4 chocs out of a litter between a choc and a black, and maybe 2 from two black (Bc) parents. That said, I personally far prefer dealing w/ families that value the right personality over color as it makes it easier for me to put the right pups in the right homes at 8 wks after I've made my own selection. My last litter between 2 Bc's btw resulted in 12 pups, and only 2 chocs.... both boys!

Good luck! -Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

I was going to add that they are prone to lots of tail wagging, bitey face and kisses- just like "all" lab's! Good luck with our next pup!

Gene Guest

I have raised all three colors. Other than the fact that they were ALL very naughty puppies, I can't see anything different other than the color of their coats and eyes,

+ Reply to Thread