I was told recently that rawhide bones are unsafe/unhealthy for dogs. Does anyone know about this?
<br />The Family
They have been known to cause blockages which is why many avoid them.
From my own personal experience, I have never had a problem with feeding rawhide. My dogs don't get them often but when they do (I have a cheap supplier near me) they enjoy it. A reasonably sized compressed rawhide keeps them busy for a good hour or more.
I wouldn't say they are 'unhealthy' but they don't contain any nutritional value. They are more for chewing/entertainment value than anything else.
All this said...I much prefer giving my dogs raw meaty marrow bones.
My breeder said absolutely no rawhide. Can cause obstruction and possible perforation, so I have never given my puppy rawhide.
These responses are 100% accurate... They can cause blockages etc.. My breeder said these are a big no no... I gave them to my dogs growing up and never had an issue. But my current girl sami I could see swallowing a big chunk and having an issue she's a pig!
Just to add, Greenies can cause blockages too if your pup is a gulper (rather than a chewer). Be careful with Greenies.
Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />
the breeder who i got my pup from told me no rawhide for first year cause the rawhides tend to swell up in the dogs tummy and can cause blockage/perforation. my 4 month old pup Storm has yet to try a rawhide. the breeder suggest i give my pup bully chew sticks which Storm really loves. they're a bit more expensive than rawhides but better safe than sorry.
i also heard that pigs ears are a no no too. i do give my pup a half a pigs ear from time to time but i make sure he eats it in front of me and let me tell you, Storm goes bonkers for them
I never give rawhide. Besides what was already written, if your dog is a big time chewer, like mine, they can bite off a big piece & it can lodge in their throat & they can choke.
When we had Molly ate the emergency vet 2 years ago, there was a young couple with a lab there & he was having his stitches out. He had to have emergency surgery to remove a piece of rawhide that was lodged in his throat. It could not be removed with a scope & the surgeon had to make an incision & remove it. The couple said if they had not lived so close to the vet, their dog would have died. The vet was talking & said it does happen more then people think, once the rawhide softens, it can come off in a pretty big chunk. He also did not like Greenies. I guess when you see the bad incidents with them....you would not recommend them.
Hmmm...I have always given my dogs rawhides, maybe 2-3 per week, several dogs, and never a problem. Now, I wouldn't give it and leave the house, but never have I had a choker or an obstruction.
Keep in mind, labs are big chewers. They can eat just about anything and anything can cause an obstruction, from rocks to socks.
There is only one type of rawhide that I give Oona and if I couldn't give her this kind she wouldn't get it. It's in the shape of a long braid, the only place I've found it is at Pet Supply Plus. Each end has an inch strip at each end and I take off one of those ends. Because of the shape of the braid Oona can't get a large piece of it off at anytime. When she chews it down to about an inch or it breaks up and the pieces separate I throw it away.
I don't feed rawhide for the blockage reason...but more importantly because Rider's stomach can't handle them...he over indulges and it gives him terrible diarreha. So...no rawhides here.
Dani, Rider & Rookie
SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC
Member Since 6/2003