Science Diet i/d Canine
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Science Diet i/d Canine

Der
    Der is offline Senior Member

Default Science Diet i/d Canine

Rogie is eating this right now while he recovers from Pancreatitis. We will start switching him back to his regular food on Tuesday or Wed. Anyone have experience with Science Diet I/D? I know that SD is generally looked down upon, do people feel the same re their prescription foods?

gerst001 is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Science Diet i/d Canine

People do look down on it - but the ID works and works well. I even keep a bag handy in case my dog ever gets an upset stomach that does not clear up in a day or so. Works 10 times better than rice and boiled chicken. You can feed it for life per my vet, but there are much much mucher better foods on the market if you are not dealing with an issue like you are. Don't rush the switch, take it slow, over about 2 weeks time...just a little each day, very little. How old is your pup?

labby is offline Senior Member

I always try to keep a few cans of this in the house. While I'm not sure I'd feed it long term its excellent when dogs have yucky tummies.
    Laura

imported_gabbys mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labby
    I always try to keep a few cans of this in the house. While I'm not sure I'd feed it long term its excellent when dogs have yucky tummies.
    We do this too. Maverick is a "vomiter"- anything and everything can cause him to throw up. The vet just has us do a three day routine with him that involves i/d.

<br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

saskasmum is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by gerst001
    People do look down on it - but the ID works and works well. I even keep a bag handy in case my dog ever gets an upset stomach that does not clear up in a day or so. Works 10 times better than rice and boiled chicken. You can feed it for life per my vet, but there are much much mucher better foods on the market if you are not dealing with an issue like you are. Don't rush the switch, take it slow, over about 2 weeks time...just a little each day, very little. How old is your pup?

I totally agree I also keep Hills id for when Saska has a flare up or upset stomach she has a very sensitive stomach, I find it works great I would not be without it.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

The SD line of foods and their PD (Prescription Diet) line of SD foods are completely different.

The SD line has often received bad marks for having so many grain fillers and for the company taking so long before they discontinued using some preservatives known to cause cancer.

But their PD line is specifically formulated to be beneficial for many particular illnesses such as cardiac, kidney, intestinal, etc., disorders.

If a PD food is indicated, IMO feed it without reservation. You might, however, call SD to find out what the kcal/cup value is so you can keep the amount fed in line with what you normally feed. Some of their PD foods are quite high in kcal/cup amounts -- such as in the 500+ range.

For a long time, SD was the only dog food company with a prescription line to help with specific medical conditions. But I think possibly Eukanuba has developed some competition for some medical conditions, but possibly not as many as SD's PD covers.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Der
    Der is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by gerst001
    Thanks to everyone for the responses. Rogie is 6. Right now, he's eating 1/2 cup three times a day. Vet said it was important for him to have smaller more frequent meals for about a week. On Wednesday, we will go back to two meals and start mixing in his normal food again (NB Potato and Duck).

blaisberg is offline Member

Sorry, but the PD formulas are no better than any Science Diet foods, regardless of how they are formulated. They are full of corn (first ingredient!), and use by-products, not meat or meal. Labs are already prone to ear infections, and corn is a known allergen, added to the fact that dogs don't need carbohydrates. I've read the description of by-products and there's no way I'd feed my dog that stuff intentionally. There are no good Science Diet foods, period. So I guess I'm one of those people who look down on it. I prefer to think of it as an informed decision not to feed it. There are just too many good alternatives out there to ever have to choose something this poor. And just because it comes from a vet doesn't make it good - so do unnecessary antibiotics, too many/too frequent vaccinations, and many other things that may do dogs harm. It just happens to be the only food that vets get kickbacks to sell.

When I got our second dog, Charlie, he had terrible diarrhea for almost 6 weeks. The vet put him on I/D (even though I HATE this manufacturer's products). Since I was worried that nothing was working and that Charlie was going to get dehydrated I admit I tried it. It did nothing different than boiled hamburger (not chicken - I find hamburger works better) and rice. The only thing that worked to stop the diarrhea was when I switched him to Bravo raw - it immediately fixed it - then I cut him gradually over to a good kibble... Innova. He's still more sensitive than our other dog, Evan, who has been on Evo for years. Evo is too rich for Charlie.

Here are the ingredients, including, by the way, one of the chemical preservatives thought to cause cancer in dogs - Ethoxyquin:

Ingredients
    Ground Whole Grain Corn, Brewers Rice, Dried Egg Product, Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Pork Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Soy Fiber, Dicalcium Phosphate, Chicken Liver Flavor, Iodized Salt, Potassium Citrate, Choline Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Soybean Oil, vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Taurine, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Ethoxyquin (a preservative).

+ Reply to Thread