How often does your 4 month old pup pee?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How often does your 4 month old pup pee?

TinasZoo is offline Senior Member

Default How often does your 4 month old pup pee?

Hi everybody. I posted around a week ago and only received a few posts. I thought I would try again another way ;D How often does or did your 4 month old Lab pee? My vet says my pup has been drinking too much which is making him pee too much. Last Tuesday I took in a urine sample and my vet said his urine is diluted and had some white blood cells in it. He thinks he may have a kidney infection. So, he put him on an antibiotic for 10 days. He is doing a little better put still pees ALOT. I am to call my vet again Friday which will be the end of his meds, to let him know how he is doing. I called the vet today with a progress report. Anyway, my daughter monitored him on Saturday because I had to work. He peed 17 times from 5 am to 8:30 pm. I monitored him yesterday and he peed 15 times from 5 am to 8pm. We take him out even if he doesn't go to the door because we never know when he will have an accident. He never has poop accidents. He has only peed twice in his crate since I've had him at 10 weeks. He is 19 weeks now. So, he can go 8 hours at night, but of course he is sleeping most of that time. During the day he may only go 50 minutes between potty breaks. Sometimes it is an hour and a half. He is crated during the day Monday through Friday. My dad goes over at noon to let him run for half hour or so. Otherwise he is out for 3 to 5 hours every night. Always out on Sundays all day. Just wondering what anybody else thinks? Thanks!

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Default Re: How often does your 4 month old pup pee?

Hi!

Just to start, I think that this is probably a question best left to medical professionals that know your pup, because there are sooo many factors that play into something like this. (to list a few; diet, urinary system development, congenital/hereditary defects including possible kidney issues, behavioural issues i.e. marking or boredom, and the list goes on!)

I know that my minpin will pretty much pee whenever we go outside for anything, because I think she just associates going outside with peeing!

I think that all you can really do is monitor closely and be sure to have a lot of veterinary interaction (i.e. telling him/her about the frequency of peeing, any changes, etc.)

also, The fact that it seems like he has a fair amount of control over his bladder (not going in his sleep, etc) is a good sign, a lot of the time real problems start when they can't control their bladder, or they're trying hard to go but can't.

I don't know if that helps, but best of luck with him!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

regarese is offline Senior Member

My puppy has pretty much the same schedule as yours. She's a few weeks younger than yours, but like Baloo's minpin-Shelby will go everytime we bring her out whether that is a 10 minute span or a 40 minute span. If she's playing with something or otherwise occupied she can go about 40 minutes without needing to go out, otherwise she's peeing on the floor after about 20 minutes or so.

gerst001 is offline Senior Member

I doubt your dog is ill - some dogs go a lot. Mine did and still goes often when we are home and he is 13 months. He can go the day when not active in the crate and has been able to hold it all night since 14 weeks old, but once excited (even for dinner) - it made him have to go.

Can he hold it long in the crate, how about at night.

I would recommend pulling the water at 8pm for the night.

IMPORTANT - regarding urine analysis - YOU MUST ALWAYS, with a pup, make sure you ONLY test the first urine of the day. So pull the water at 8PM. In the morning, before he drinks another thing...take him outside and catch the urine in a cup and then show up at the vet when they open the doors and ask them to test it RIGHT THEN using a dip stick (2 seconds) for kidney problems including "specific gravity".

I went through this with my pup. His numbers came back not so good around the same age as yours, I went home, got a new sample in the morning - they retested and he was more than perfect. The results were completely night and day.

Gusdad is offline Member

My Gus is 21 weeks old. He is crated all night. He goes out to pee at 5 am. Is fed at around 5:20 am and then goes back out and poops and usually pees again. I leave for work between 6:30 and 7 am and he is crated again.
    My wife wakes up at around 7am to get ready for work. He stays crated until she gets out of the bathtub and dressed. Once she is ready for work she uncrates him she takes him out to pee which is usually between 8 and 8:30 am. She says most of the time he doesn't pee. This is usually the only time only day that he doesn't pee when he goes outside. She then brings him in and crates him and leaves for work.
    One or both of us come home at lunch (usually between 12:30 and 1:15) and lets him out and he goes to pee. Then he is fed and goes back out to poop and pees again. Before we go back to work he will go back out and pee again. He is crated again.
    I get home from work around 4pm. I let him out and he goes and pees. We come back in and he gets his last meal at around 4:30pm. Then we go back out so he can pee and poop again. We'll stay out for a while so he can run and play or we'll go for a long walk.
    He'll go back out at around 7 or so to pee or he'll go sit at the door to let us know. He'll go out one last time right before I go to bed b/c I put him to bed when I go to bed which is around 9 pm and he'll pee. Then he is crated for the night.
    On occassion he'll wake up in the middle of the night whining b/c he needs to go out but those nights are very few and far between.

As you can see, Gus generally pees every time his paws hit the grass! Sorry for the long read. I hope this helps in some way.
    <br />The Family

Dani is offline Senior Member

Obviously you know that when a dog is out and active, the need to go potty is more frequent.

As for the kidney, it actually sounds like a bladder infection, and I would ask that your doctor rule out either or BOTH.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

TinasZoo is offline Senior Member

Thank you everybody for your replies. Ranger is doing much better now. I have been keeping very close tabs with my vet with this issue. He thinks that Ranger isn't getting enough water. When he does have access to water, he drinks way too much trying to get his fill. I was taking Ranger's water up an hour before bed. And of course he doesn't get it in his crate. So, now I let him have it all the time except in the crate. He sometimes still goes real often, but not as much as he was when I was first worried about this problem.

gerst001, My vet said it didn't matter what time of day I got the urine sample. That is one of the things I asked him. It was his 2nd urine of teh day because I wasn't fast enough with the first one.

Dani, My vet said it was NOT a bladder infection. He told me why he thought that, but I can't remember now. Yes, I do know when a dog is out and active, they potty more frequent. I don't have the experience you do with all the dogs you have fostered. But, this is my 6th dog I have raised. My 4th from a pup and my 3rd Lab. I've just never had one that has had to go as often as this boy.

When I was orginally worried, Ranger would potty every 15 minutes for about an hour after he drank a lot of water. This happened from the time I got him at 10 weeks until about 1/3 of the way into his antibiotics. I don't know if he was just learning to finally control it or if he did actually have an infection. I've talked to my vet 4 times since he started the antibiotic. He has been done with the meds for a week now. We have decided just to observe him for now. I will call the vet if it seems to be a problem again.

Once again, thank you all for your info. I was just really worried about my boy. I just want to make sure I do all that I can to keep him happy and healthy.

Have a great day! Tina

gerst001 is offline Senior Member

That is good news.

A second urine of the day is okay, but the first is preffered. A urine sample at the end of the day "could" be way off in a pup that drinks a lot of water, all at one time. That is what happend with me. I did the first test from an afternoon sample and it was way off, brought back the fisrt urine of the day and it was perfect. i would imagine the second still be pretty accurate as well.

+ Reply to Thread