My Puppy Eats TOO Fast!!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Puppy Eats TOO Fast!!

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

Default My Puppy Eats TOO Fast!!

How do I get my 4 month old puppy to slow down when she eats? I have tried dividing her food in half, and letting her take a rest in between portions. Not working. I have tried putting a chew toy on top of her food in her bowl so she would have to eat around it. Not working. I even tried hand-feeding her today, and really got to feel just how fast she wolfs it down. She is like a turbo-charged Electrolux!! WOOOOOOFFF!! I am worried she could bloat. Any ideas would be extremely helpful and appreciated!!

saskasmum is offline Senior Member

Default Re: My Puppy Eats TOO Fast!!

I like in england but sent to America for a new dog bowl, it has raised bits in it and stops them eating food like there is no tomorrow, it worked for me. Saska was the same used to eat her food in 20 seconds flat and I was worried about bloat, the bowl is really great for slowing them down as they can not get to the food so easily. The website is www.brake-fast.net They have a video to show you how it works.

rileygirl23 is offline Member

I've tried large river rock in their bowl (large enough that there's no way they could swallow it and smooth). The food drops down the sides and they have to pick it out. My boy inhales his food too and I was always worried about that same thing. Good luck!

Sadies Paw is offline Member

That bowl is a neat idea. A big rock would do it too. I never used anything for Sadie's bowl when she was just a mere pup. She used to just inhale her food aswell. Perphaps try a bowl obastacle to slow the amount of time. Keep in mind though, they do slow down their food eating time as they get older....usually anyway. :P

imported_merlin is offline Senior Member

I think I saw someone mention about putting pineapples in their food??! Maybe have a quick search?
    <br />[URL=http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=515&amp;i=mg7637smallna4.jpg]

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

Lynnafcb......thanks for that link! I may have to give that bowl a try. This morning I put 3 chew toys on top of her food in her bowl, and that slowed her down a LITTLE. I also gave her only half the food portion, waited a few minutes, and then gave her the rest. The river rock idea sounds good too. I'll try anything if it means she'll slow down with the inhaling of the food! Thanks!

saskasmum is offline Senior Member

Good luck let us know how you get on

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

A bundt style cake pan will work like that food bowl. Plus it's easier to find, and cheaper, too. I slowed Caleb down by putting a jolly ball in his dish. For whatever reason, I only had to do it for a couple of months.

Caseys Mom Guest

I put part of each of Casey's meals in a treat/food dispensing toy like a Buster Cube. In addition to slowing her down, it also gives her a bit of a mental workout as she figures out how to get the food out and she seems to enjoy the "thrill of the hunt" even more than regular eating.

TimC. is offline Senior Member

I wouldn't put a rock in, I would be afraid of a tooth getting broken or cracked. A tennis ball will work fine but even better a lacrosse ball because its easier to keep clean. Another option is to feed the puppy the same amount for the day but break it up into smaller portions. I feed Oona 4 times a day with the last feeding right before we go to bed. I know of Great Dane owners that feed their dogs 6 times a day and have never had a problem with bloat. Another option is a flat sheet pan and spread the food all over the pan.
    Olie

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast