Swaying gait-
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Swaying gait-

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Default Swaying gait-

I'm a little concerned, Sammi seem's to have quite the sway in her walk and of course the first thing I think of is hip problem's. She has no other signs, that I can see. She never act's like she is pain, she seem's to run and play with no problem's. They x-rayed her hip's when she was spayed and saw no problem's at that time. Does anyone else have a pup that seem's to have quite a waggle when they walk? Oh yeah she is a 1yr. and a month old.

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Swaying gait-

Does she kinda walk like a cat? you know that sway/swagger where one side of their gut really sways out almost overexaggerated? If so, I think you might just be witnessing the lab sway. Mine do it from time to time and they've got no joint issues.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

TimC. is offline Senior Member

That's just the way they walk.
    Olie

Di

Thank's-quess I needed the reassurance, when you look up the hip dysplacia(sp) sites and one of the signs is "swaying gait" :- I appreciate your replies, I'll try to not be such a worry wort

ks02 is offline Senior Member

Mine does this as well and I wondered the same thing. Thanks for asking

The common denominator that I have noticed with dogs that have had hip problems is they don't have any muscle mass in their rear ends.
    Olie

Dani is offline Senior Member

Not necessarily just how they walk. That is what I thought until a person with a trained eye in lab gaits told me that Rider's was off (i'd say he has a sway too). I had him x-rayed without showing any symptoms either and it turns out he has mild HD. We are doing prevention stuff as he is not in pain or even aware of it being there. He still runs, competes and acts like a normal dog. I am glad that I knew sooner rather than later.

So don't be too sure. If you want to know, pay the $50 and get her x-rayed.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Di

Quote Originally Posted by Dani
    Not necessarily just how they walk. That is what I thought until a person with a trained eye in lab gaits told me that Rider's was off (i'd say he has a sway too). I had him x-rayed without showing any symptoms either and it turns out he has mild HD. We are doing prevention stuff as he is not in pain or even aware of it being there. He still runs, competes and acts like a normal dog. I am glad that I knew sooner rather than later.

So don't be too sure. If you want to know, pay the $50 and get her x-rayed.
    She was x-rayed when I had her spayed at 9 month's and everything looked good then. What preventive stuff do you use, like glucosomine? What age did you start rider? Luckily Sammi seem's to have great movement in her hind legs and hip's with no problem's and does have good muscle mass. I try very hard to keep an eye on her wt. really dont want her to get to heavy! thank's again.

You can start her on the Glucosamine now if you want. Remember its a preventive. Most people wait until its too late to start. I started giving Oona the same stuff I take and it has made a world of difference.
    Olie

Dani is offline Senior Member

dipete, I get the Cosequin chewable tablets off of ebay...it has Glucosimine and Chonodrine. Rider was 2.5 when we diagnosed him with Mild Hip Displasia. Glucosimine, keeping him at a lean weight and continued exercise are the course of action we are taking right now. Until he shows signs of being in pain or worsening, this is our course of action. You have to remember at 9 months, she's not done growing. That is why you can't OFA a dog until they are 2 years old. So, things could have changed since then.

I have to say that upon physical examination and determining Rider's range of motion, my vet was saying that there it was going to be doubtful that he had HD. So when she came back with the x-rays she was just as dumb founded as I was. A dog doesn't necessarily have to present with classic symptoms. Rider has a swaying gait. That is what tipped off my friend. That is MY experience.

I am not trying to scare you, I was devistated when my vet told me about that, but...you should know that 9 months is not an age that they can really tell because they are still growing.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast