new puppy breathing hard
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: new puppy breathing hard

bkeeslar is offline Junior Member

Default new puppy breathing hard

Hello. We just got an 8 week old black lab pup. He is doing great except that when he sleeps or is about to fall asleep, he breathes very hard and fast. When he is awake his breathing is normal. Any help would be appreciated.

TimC. is offline Senior Member

Default Re: new puppy breathing hard

He is probably just dreaming. I wouldn't worry about it.
    Olie

saskasmum is offline Senior Member

I had the same thing with SASKA her breathing was really fast, I sat there fascinated and also a bit scared but I was assured it was normal, the other thing they do is twitch and go and make funny noises when dreaming, I am sure he will be OK, you could always ask the vets advice if really worried.

TimC. is offline Senior Member

Wait until he is older and the first time he howls while he is asleep. That will put a chill up your back.
    Olie

roguemacsmom is offline Senior Member

It kinda freaks you out when you first get a lab and they do that at night. when we first brought rogue and mac home they played so hard and then fell asleep and seemed to go right into dream mode and the fast breathing.

Yes, when they do the twitching and moaning and yelping in the sleep we first thought they were having seizures. I just rub them and sooth them like a child having a bad dream and they settle down.

Haven't had them howl yet....that would scare the crap out of me if that happens. ;D

saskasmum is offline Senior Member

I have not had the howling yet but I have had Saska Bark in her sleep which is weird, I think she must be chasing rabbits or cats.

+ Reply to Thread