What kind of dog food is good for Labs?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What kind of dog food is good for Labs?

daisymae is offline Junior Member

Default What kind of dog food is good for Labs?

This is new to me, I have just joined this forum tonight.

I have a black, four year old Lab, Cinder. From time to time she has Urinary infecions. The vet says not to feed her this one type of dog food. Course they want us to buy the dog food they sell, which is alot more expensive.

Does anyone have any suggestions? We feed her dry food.

We love her dearly and hate for her to suffer with that when she does get it.

thanks,

DaisyMae

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Default Re: What kind of dog food is good for Labs?

A couple of things that can help prevent UTIs: Allow for frequent urination (at least every 4 - 5 hours or so), make sure she has access to water at all times, give a daily dose of cranberry pills, and B complex is supposed to help maintain kidney health, too. I would probably consider a probiotic pill every day -- use the human, refridgerated kind, that are available at health food stores like GNC, Vitamin Shoppe, etc.

I think the answer to your food questions depends on whether or not crystals are present.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

What are you feeding her now?

puppy is offline Junior Member

I have this same question for a 5 month old Fox Red Labrador. We were feeeding her IAMS Smart Puppy as suggested by her breeder, but IAMS seems to have changed their formula [food looks different...smaller]. Our puppy had diarrhea for a bit and even a case of doggie hemroids fom the strain and frequency. The vet suggested that we put her on a white rice and chicken diet. She has been on that for 5 days now and we would like to get her back on regular food and are looking for suggestions as we don't want to go back to the IAMS that may have upset her stomach in the first place.
    Any suggestions?

badboy2 is offline Senior Member

Rocky is on purina puppy chow and a friend adviced iams puppy large breed is that what u r giving now?now I don't know if I should switch.since he is eating good do u guys think I still need to switch?

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

For adult (>12 mos) dogs, in general choose a diet without corn, corn products, or wheat, wheat products.

For Lab puppies (<12 mos) seriously consider a Large Breed formula. From a previous post:
    __________________________________________________ _______________

There is no unanimous agreement on this but the majority (maybe a slim majority) of people recommend feeding a LARGE BREED PUPPY formulation for the first year (or some would say the first 6 - 11 months).

That's because the amounts of calcium, phosphorus, and kcals are adjusted in LBP food formulations so that the joints don't close too soon.

Premature joint closure is one of the three major interacting causes of later joint problems -- the other two are early stress (as from jumping, early injury) as well as hereditary/genetic factors.

I belong to the group that favors LBP food, figuring that anything I can do to reduce the risk of joint problems -- to which Labs are very susceptible -- is worth it. (For that reason I've also fed my Lab a Glucosamine and Chondroitin tablet since she's been one year old.) And my vet, a diplomate in internal medicine at Kansas State's CollVetMed, strongly recommended feeding a good LBP food for Puff's first year.

Among the commonly available better quality LBP foods are (alphabetically) the newly introduced "Diamond Naturals" (commonly available in feed stores or you can go to their website and find a store locator -- they do NOT advertise so they depend on word of mouth to build sales; their straight "Diamond" is now of slightly lower quality with fillers; all Diamond prices are much lower than other comparable quality products); Eukanuba (the better quality, higher cost version of Iams); Nutro Natural Choice (Nutro Ultra may be better quality, it's a new line and I haven't compared its ingredients with their NC; their Nutro Max is of lower quality -- more fillers); and ProPlan (their Purina One is a lower grade, more fillers, by the same company). Science Diet also has a LBP food but typically SD uses a lot of grain fillers and a LOT of promotional incentives to vets to push their sales.
    =======================================

Disclosure: I fed my Puff [YF, AKC field line (competitive breeder), 65 lbs., DOB: 8-'01] Nutro Natural Choice LBP food for her first 11 months and then switched her to Diamond Lamb & Rice ("Diamond Naturals" did not exist at that time -- the brand had not yet then split into a lower and higher quality line).

Soon I switched her to Kirkland's L&R; "Kirkland" is a house brand sold only in Costco's (a warehouse club like Sam's but with -- IMO -- usually much higher quality products and slightly higher prices). I now feed her Kirkland C&R because it now has fewer fillers than their L&R.

Kirkland's dog food is made by the same comapny that makes Diamond and the Kirkland dog food formulations are VERY similar to that of the "Diamond Naturals".

It used to be that Kirkland was very similar to equivalent Diamond formulas but about 9 months ago the Kirkland formulas diverged to become very similar to that of the later arriving, new "Diamond Naturals".
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

imported_gailatmsu is offline Senior Member

Not sure what kind would be best in your situation, but Brees eats Nutro Ultra Large Breed Puppy food. Here's the link to it: http://www.ultraholistic.com/lbpup.shtml
    &lt;img src=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v46/jakobandbrandonsmom/Brees1.jpg&gt;<br /><br />Gail<br />Mom to Brees (lab/golden), Popcorn (Pembroke Welsh Corgi), Mara (tortiseshell cat), Socks (cat), and two cute little boys.

georgie is offline Senior Member

I guess the best answer is "The one that works for your lab." I don't mean that smart. It's just that there are many good quality dog foods out there but not all labs will do well with the same food. Sad to say sometimes it becomes trial & error.
    What works for one may not work for your lab.
    I feed my girls Purina ProPlan Chicken. They do well..good coat, firm stools & they like it. No ear problems etc. But that is them.
    Check the label for the ingrediants. Meat/chicken whatever, should be the first ingredient.

Good luck.

badboy2 is offline Senior Member

Is purina puppy chow good for pups 11wks old?can I give the recommendations above?

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Is purina puppy chow good for pups 11wks old?
    The short answer is no, Puppy Chow is not a good food.

Ingredients:
    Whole grain corn, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, brewers rice, soybean meal, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), pearled barley, calcium phosphate, fish oil, calcium carbonate, animal digest, salt, potassium chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, choline chloride, zinc sulfate, Vitamin E supplement, DL-Methionine, zinc proteinate, ferrous sulfate, brewers dried yeast, manganese sulfate, manganese proteinate, added color (Red 40, Yellow 5, Blue 2), niacin, Vitamin A supplement, copper sulfate, calcium pantothenate, copper proteinate, garlic oil, pyridoxine hydrochloride, Vitamin B-12 supplement, thiamine mononitrate, Vitamin D-3 supplement, riboflavin supplement, calcium iodate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), folic acid, biotin, sodium selenite.
    R-4001

I won't rant on about what I think of this food, but anything with 'corn' as the first ingredient is highly unlikely to be a quality feed.

If you want a better quality but affordable and easily availbale food, look into one of the brand names Bob Pr. posted. If you want to go up another step, there are even better foods than the ones already suggested...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast