Cost of MRI
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cost of MRI

Mirabella is offline Senior Member

Default Cost of MRI

Have any of you had an MRI for your dog? Was it on the spine? I just wondered what the costs may be?
    Thanks!

imported_zoezoe is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Cost of MRI

Had a CTscan done in '03 at UGA of the back/spine/hips. I don't remember exactly, as we had surgery, too; but it was somewhere between $300 and $500 for the CT.

Did you dog have spinal surgery??

Yep, sure did. Not sure I would do it again, though. What's going on? My girl had a degenerative disc problem. She recovered well, or at least we thought she did; but I lost her 3 months later. They think as a result of the surgery; possibly a blood clot or bone fragment going to her brain.
    Are you looking at that now? What age is your dog, etc.? I'm sure it is fine for some. But if I had to do it over again; I would probably try conservative management as she had to stay on Rimadyl anyway for the HD.

Brodie is weak in his hind legs and they don't think it is arthritis so it may be some sort of spine problem. I think they would need a CT or MRI to know for sure - nothing is obvious on regular xrays. He is 11 and in good health otherwise but I still don't know. What were the symptoms and age of your dog?

imported_nellies mom is offline Senior Member

A year ago I was quoted $1,200 to $1,500 for Nellie. That was with dye injected in the spine. I'm afraid of the aftereffects of the dye so I'm not having the MRI done.
    <br />~~~~~~~~<br />Danie<br />Nellie, CGC<br />~~~~~~~~<br />The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

The xrays showed the HD, but required a CT scan to show the disc problems. That was done at UGA. She had a very difficult time getting up. She would scoot across the floor after lying down for any period of time. She would cry in trying to stand up. We first thought it was the HD, so we went to UGA (on referral from our vet) to get the HD surgery done; but when they did the CT scan; they found the disc problems and contributed that to the pain (pressing on a nerve, etc.). She did great while on rimadyl and/or deramaxx; it just masked the pain and made it so she could get around normally. After the surgery, she still had to stay on the meds for the HD. 3 months later she became disoriented and went into shock. Results as stated above!
    I'm not sure at 11 I would go through the MRI with the spine, but that is just me. Have you tried meds yet? Again, just me; but if I ever have it to do over again; I'll prolly go that route. Chelsea was only 8-1/2.

Brodie does not seem to be in pain. I did a trial of Deramaxx and also steriods with no improvement. I just worry what will I do if he gets worse where he can't stand up. He is too big for me to carry anywhere. He gets chiro and acupuncture now and seems to be holding but I am thinking this will only get worse.
    I am sorry for your loss of Chelsea - :'(

Glad the accupuncture is working, for now. Is he on gluc/chon supplements, also? It helps some; and I'm sure it wouldn't hurt.

Yes, he has been on the supplements for over 2 years.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast