ACL Recovery & Stairs??
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ACL Recovery & Stairs??

SirFergus is offline Senior Member

Default ACL Recovery & Stairs??

For those of you that have gone through ACL recovery...how long afterwards did you allow your dog to start going up & down stairs again??

Sarah & Fergus
    British Columbia
    Canada

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Default Re: ACL Recovery & Stairs??

We allowed 1-2 steps immediately because the dog had to get out to go potty. We also let him up on the couch right away cuz it was hard for him to get comfortable...

I imgaine you are talking a full staircase... I remember reading a website about a lady with a Bernese Mountain Dog that had TPLO and they lived in an upstairs condo. They tried to leave the dog at the bottom of the stairs during the recovery but as one would imagine, he had a fit being separated. They ended up putting him on a plastic "disk" sled with ropes, and pulled him upstairs...

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

I was going to ask how many stairs also...When my 2 girls went thru this we built a ramp to go over the stairs on the porch that leads to the ground. Since my oldest one is 12 now we just leave it up "year round" for her as steps are a little hard for her to manuver.
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

SirFergus is offline Senior Member

Well we live in a townhome that has one set of stairs going from the front door up to our main living space & another set that goes from the main living space to the upstairs bedrooms. Right now my husband carries him up to bed everynight and down each morning. Throughout the day he stays on the main level & my husband carries him down to the front door when we take him out for his walks. I'm at home with him all day right now and it would be so nice to take him out for one of his walks while my husband is at work, only I can't carry him down the stairs. We are only 5 1/2 weeks post-op so I'm assuming it's still too early to try stairs?? I was just wondering when it might be safe do so?? I wasn't thinking of letting him do them on his own...Fergus only has one speed and that FAST!! I was thinking when it comes time to use the stairs we would leash him so we could control the speed of him going up & down.

Sarah & Fergus
    British Columbia
    Canada

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

While you should really ask the vet, at 5 1/2 weeks in, I probably would try to see how it goes. With all our dogs and all their surgery, we never followed the rules to the letter. I am not saying we endangered their recovery, but we were usually about a week or two ahead in activity compared to what the vet would say.

With Hudler, he won't poo on the property, and we told the vet this. So from day 1 after his surgery, we had to take him for 2 walks a day. While there were no stairs other than up one to the entry way, down 2 out the front door, down 1 from the curb, up 1 again back onto the curb...etc....I slowly walked him a block up, over and back.

Try it one day with your hubby home, with a leash on, and go REALLLLLY slow...if all you do this for is during the day when you are alone with him, it probably won't be so bad...as long as the test was successful.

blaisberg is offline Member

Evan's first ACL repair was a traditional. We carried him up and down the stairs until about 4 months. The vet said we could let him go up the stairs but not down, but we carried him anyway. As you probably know, with this repair, you have to let the scar tissue build up on the nylon they use so you have to be slow.

Evan's second ACL repair was TPLO, and as soon as the xrays showed sufficient bone healing, he was allowed to do stairs - in his case that was 6 weeks post-TPLO. There was just a post on this on the yahoo orthodogs site this week. If you've had ACL repair, you may want to join that group if you're not already a member.

Jocelyn

labby is offline Senior Member

Whenever your vet says you can.
    Laura

+ Reply to Thread