Chocolate Lab has white hair growing
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chocolate Lab has white hair growing

echorose is offline Junior Member

Default Chocolate Lab has white hair growing

I was wondering if someone can help me.

My 14 month old dark chocolate lab has suddenly developed white hair growing under hair topcoat. She likes sunbathing and it is very hot here in England at the moment. ( not normal for the time of year ).The white hair is where the course hair is along the back and on the tail. You can pull it out in handfuls. It is as if it is dead hair. I have a Yellow 5 year old lab and she is fine but not a sun worshipper!

[attachment deleted by admin]

labby is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Chocolate Lab has white hair growing

Sounds like she's shedding out undercoat.
    Laura

Kathryn Guest

my Maggie gets white hairs every now and again. i wouldnt worry about it. as for the hair hands full of hair. It happens!

Thankyou for your help. I feel much better about it now.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

It is also common for chocolates to have light hairs. Maddy has them all over her belly and underside of her tail. Hudler had it in his tail. Grace is the only one who really didn't get it in noticeable places...a tiny tiny but on her chest, and in her feet by her pads.

But it does sound like yours is doing a major shed.

imported_Nick is offline Senior Member

Jes has a few white hairs dispursed throughout his coat. He's also began getting gray hairs under his chin at around 2-years of age. With blacks and chocolates, you notice any color discrepancies, with yellows, I think they tend to blend in.

Thank you for all your advise. I feel a lot better now and after brushing her for hours last night she seems to be shedding at a less alarming extent. She still has a white patch at the area of her tail were the scent gland is.

She is going to be neuted on Friday and wondering if anyone has any advise on stopping our older Lab Amber from licking Echo's stitches. Amber likes to clean everyone in the family human and animal. The rabbits are aways been licked clean. Unfortunately she likes to clean Echo's genitals and ears on regular basis. We do crate Echo but in the evening they like to cuddle up on a beanbag for the night.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Newmommie06 is offline Senior Member

I found this thread odd and helpful at the same time. Our 3 month old chocolate lab has the nickname skunk. He has a white streak running down his back and tail. It gets lighter all the time. We were told by our breeder that it's probably some of the yellow lab in his gene pool coming through. His grandmother was a yellow lab. This might be part of the issue!
    Merry Christmas<br />

That is interesting. I love the name Skunk. I looked through Echo's Family Tree and found that she comes from a long line of Chocolate Labs but you never know what the gene pool can throw up. She is becoming very tanned along the back and on her tail. The main thing is, there is nothing medically wrong with her, and we love her to bits.

+ Reply to Thread