Just Labradors banner

Advice on possible blockage.

5K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Brigettas Mom 
#1 ·
This morning Brigetta (5 months) ate a tassel off of one of my pillows. The tassel is probably about 5 inches long and approximately 3/4-1 inch in diameter. I do not have much experience in this area (my other dog ate some carpet fringe years ago- but she threw most of it up and the rest passed right through) so I don't know what signs to look for that would indicate a blockage or if I should bring her to the vet or wait to see if it passes- and if I do wait how long should I wait? She hasn't thrown up and she went poop once after eating it...it was a little softer than usual. Any advice/thoughts would be greatly appreciated...I'm so worried  :( Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
I would contact my vet and see what they think you should watch for. Hopefully it will pass through without and outside influence.

#3 ·
I would definitely call your vet and ask... and I'd watch her like a hawk to see if she is able to pass it...

good luck! Our lab hasn't gotten into anything like that (yet!) but my brothers has and she has always been fine- she swallowed a hole bone and somehow passed that - it's amazing what these dogs can do... but I wouldn't take a chance if it were me and would call the vet... my guess is that it may be a waiting and watching game for now...

#4 ·
I had a dog have an obstruction that had to be surgically repaired not too long ago. He threw up several times, wouldn't eat, and refused treats and some of the pancake I was eating. I called the vet. You don't want to let them get dehydrated. The first sign is their gums get sticky. Going potty is good. Just keep monitoring the situation and I would call your vet today since it's a holiday tomorrow to let him know the situation. 

#5 ·
Thanks for all of the advice. I did call my vet and she told me at this point to watch Brigetta's eating, drinking, activity level and when she goes to the bathroom and she gave me the number to the emergency vet for tomorrow in case she does get sick. Brigetta ate her dinner tonight and has been running around like normal- when she went to the bathroom I saw one little string come out but there has to be at least 50 or more- so I'm praying that the rest will follow. She just had her stitches from her spay surgery removed on Saturday...I really don't want her to have to go through another surgery  :(.

#6 ·
took Sammi 3 day's to throw up a sock she had swallowed. The whole time she was eating, drinking and pooping normally. I feel very gratful that she didn't get sick and even though we watch her like a hawk, we are trying to be even more careful

#7 ·
I will be watching Brigetta like a hawk now too! She usually follows me into every room I go so when she has gotten into something in the past I'm right there. I was in the shower and normally she goes between laying on the bath mat to sticking her nose in the shower. I should have been suspicious when I didn't see that brown nose poking through the shower curtain this morning! It's my fault for not shutting the door all the way. I'm glad to hear that Sammi eventually threw her sock up though.

#8 ·
I went through this about 6 weeks ago with one of my dogs. Turns out he swallowed a plastic toy bird and yes, he had to have it removed. He needed bed rest for a week after surgery & 2 weeks post op he was 100%. His symptoms were as FieldLabLover described. Vomiting, not eating or drinking and no passing stools. After around 24 hours I was concerned that it was more than a bug and took him to the vets. The vet confirmed my fears and after after an X-Ray he had surgery.

To be honest if Brigetta is eating, drinking and acting normally it is unlikely she has blockage. She would be showing some symptoms if she had.

#9 ·
I'm sorry yours had to have surgery....I remember reading your thread when I did a search. Your post has made me feel better...Brigetta ate this morning and although her stool isn't normal and again I only saw a couple of strings, she is going. I'll just keep watching her and pray it all passes through!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.