Just Labradors banner

Allergic reaction and facial swelling!!!

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  dakotas_mom 
#1 ·
On top of everything else that seems to go wrong with this poor pup... Last Wednesday we suddenly noticed our dog's snout was swollen- it was at night and the vet was closed so I called the emergency vet- we figured she must have gotten stung by a bee and we didn't know...we gave her benadryl and watched and she appeared fine...

This morning (Sunday) we woke up and her entire face was swollen- eyes almost swollen shut, itching like crazy... she was in our room all night so we know she didn't get into anything... last night she was itching a bit but no swelling...Actually, my husband woke me out of a deep sleep at 6:30am with the words " Don't panic...but where's the benadryl"... I looked next to him and a very swollen pup was staring back at me...she looked like she had been in a boxing match and lost terribly! Of course I immediately DID start to panic...

We have NO CLUE what she could be allergic too - it has come on so suddenly! We took her to the emergency vet this morning and they gave her benadryl injections and are having us give her benadryl tablets every 8 hours for 2 days.. We aren't sure if Wednesday and Sunday are related... we only gave her one tab of benadryl on wednesday - so could it have stayed in her system and then been triggered again sunday somehow?? Also, Tuesday the day before the first swelling, she threw up once and had the runs which persisted until Friday/Saturday...not sure if this could be related to an allergiv reaction or something separate?

Anyone have any ideas or similar experiences?? I'm so scared to let her go play outside for fear she will get into something...I know I have to let her go out and be a dog...but it was so scary! I don't know what I'd do if anything ever happened to this babygirl :(

She appears ok now (Monday)...snout still slightly puffy but she will be on benadryl the rest of the day... she is eating and drinking, playful when she is not drowsy from the benadryl...I think I am more affected by this than she seems now.

Thanks!

See less See more
#4 ·
Re: Allergies??? Any ideas?

Bug reactions are usually delayed reactions. It could be another bite during the day (you said she was itchy) and this time she had a worse reaction, which is usual because the first time she was sensitized. Did you give her one dose of Benadryl the first time or continue every 8 hours? Could she be getting in to little spiders?

#5 ·
Re: Allergies??? Any ideas?

interesting...I gave her just one does of benadryl the first time- but the second time was much worse so we took her in for an injection- she was fine when we went to bed- so I think the swelling must have started and gotten worse throughout the night.

IT's possible- but I have no clue where - I haven't seen any but I'm sure they are outside somewhere...

#6 ·
I had the same thing happen to my dog last year, the vet said it was likely a spider bite. The swelling was bad, the benedryl worked but she would puff up again when it was time for another dose. I also live in the Pacific Northwest, so it could have been a spider from in the house. It took about a week for her to completely recover.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.