My Lab is couching alot, up to the point of almost vomitting but not actually doing it. I am a new lab owner and neve had a dog before. I gave him a stuffed animal that he at through and I suspect that he might have swallowed some stuffing. What to do? Is there anything I can give him? any tips would be greatly appreciated!
It could be kennel cough. Even if your dog has been vaccinated for it, he can still get it. It is basically the dog version of whooping cough. I've had it, and so has one of my dogs, and yes, you can cough so much you throw up.
Also, and you probably know this by now, but you shouldn't leave your pup alone with stuffed animals if he is a chewer. Swallowing a piece of it really can hurt him. It can obstruct his intestines or bowels and he would need surgery. Personally, I play with the stuffed animals with my dog, and then put them away. There are other things, such as kongs, that are much safer for unsupervised play.
Although there are things you can give your dog to make them throw up (in the case of them swallowing poison), I personally would not do that in this case. Get thee to the vet!
I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.
Throw the ball, damn it!
Go to the vet...but it really sounds like Kennel Cough. No biggie.
Dani, Rider & Rookie
SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC
Member Since 6/2003
Just wondering if you had his "cough" checked out. I'm hoping it's kennel cough and not an obstruction. Kennel Cough is easily treated.
Thanks all! I went to the vet with Scooby and he has a cold... The vet gave me some meds to give him... But the cough has rally diminished, so I think my pup will be allright.
Thanks for all your help!
Glad to hear Scooby is doing better