Just Labradors banner

ALL ABOUT POOP ;)

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  pat 
#1 ·
So I know this is the subject everyone is DYING to talk about, but I am confused. Jake has had "loose" poop today--not runny but not firm. But it has this weird mucous on the outside...the only reason I noticed is because he has had 2 accidents inside today. I was worried this morning because we had a problem with worms in the past so I took it in and they said the fecal sample was negative. My question is could the mucous be from one of those pressed rawhide bones? Thanks for reading all about Jakes poop! :p

Lindsay

#3 ·
The mucous coating is an indication of an irritation in the GI tract. I know that's kind of vague, but lots of insults to the intestines can cause it.....parasites are just one of many. BTW, I won't feed rawhides AT ALL. I had to surgically remove one of those from a client's dog (wedged in the small intestine) just about 3 weeks ago. Thankfully, she's doing well. :)

#5 ·
it has this weird mucous on the outside
The mucous coating is an indication of an irritation in the GI tract. I know that's kind of vague, but lots of insults to the intestines can cause it.....parasites are just one of many.
Puff never gets rawhides and has the same diet every day. But she does sometimes find other things to scavenge on our walks.

Her stools are usually firm, normal and well-formed but sometimes just one of the several "sausages" of her BM will be covered with a mucous coating, sometimes a couple. Weird.

#6 ·
Hannah does have some of those yukky poopies every now & then. I have heard it's some kind of intestinal upset but it's usually a couple of BMs & then I don't see it again for several months. I haven't noticed it after anything in particular was fed either.

I give her a little dollop of organic pumpkin in with each meal because she does have a tendency towards loose poopies. It really works. Oddly enough, if your dog is constipated, vet will tell you to give lots of pumpkin in with their food so it seems to work both ways. Guess it's because it's high in fiber??????

I won't feed rawhide either.......friend had a dog with rawhide stuck in her intestines so she had to go under to remove it. Scared me. I do give her marrow or rib bones w/lots of marrow but only now & then. Those scare me too. I swear.......is anything safe these days?

The only thing I trust to leave her with when I go out is a Kong with a few treats on the bottom & pb on top. She works on those for hours because pb is her fave treat. When I get home, the Kong is clean inside......no pb & no treats!

#7 ·
Yes it definitely could be from rawhide. I don't feed rawhide as it is hard to find any that aren't made in China and even the pressed ones can be dangerous. I would feed the pups food only for a week or so, even during training just use its food for treats and see what happens.

#8 ·
Mucous is a sign of irritated GI tract - I usually skip feeding my dog the next meal to help the intestinal lining recover (no input, no output). I don't feed rawhides - but I am now giving both my dogs bully sticks - one dog takes about 10 minutes to chew, the other makes it last about 20 minutes. Both are very aggressive chewers, so this is longer than a rawhide. You can get bully sticks in several lengths, thicknesses, and even braided to increase the chewing time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.