Going from 3 to 2 meals per day (Puppy)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going from 3 to 2 meals per day (Puppy)

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Default Going from 3 to 2 meals per day (Puppy)

Just wondering when you switch your dogs from 3 meals per day to 2. Eric and I come home at lunch regardless but it just occured to me that I have no idea when we switch over to two meals per day.
    ~Lindsay

imported_kiddsmom is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Going from 3 to 2 meals per day (Puppy)

You could always call your breeder and ask.
    <br />Oregon

Dani is offline Senior Member

Ender can kind of give you an indication too...but from my experience about 15-16 weeks is a good time to do it (Rider lost interest at about 3 months at the lunch time feedings), and we then switched him to adult food at 6 months.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

ThatsMyGirl Guest

I switched between 4 and 5 months ... you just gradually, over the course of a few days, reduce what you are giving at lunch time. At the same time increase that amount in the a.m. and p.m. meals, so that Ender gets the same amount of food.

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Our vet said to see how he's growing and then decide. We tried to wean lunch out around 4 or 5 months, but then he was just ravenous at dinner, and I'm always worried about bloat :

So, the vet said if we're home and want to divide his rations into three parts then keep on doing it if it keeps him from being a pig at night. Just now, at 9 months he's losing interest in the mid-day meal. It's not like he'll refuse the food (haha) but he's not looking for it, and he's not starving at dinner (and by not starving, I mean he takes 45 seconds to eat 1.5 cups, not 15 seconds).

See what Ender tells you, you'll know when he's ready - and as long as you're home and he's not overweight or having loose stools our vet said there's no reason they can't have three meals until they're ready to switch.

I love your new siggy pic too (pixelated! haha)

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Well... he is having loose stool but I think that's our fault for feeding too much and our feeding schedule got screwed up over the weekend.

He'll eat whatever you put in front of him and he'll never say no, or at least he hasn't yet.

Our little tanker is 32 lbs but NOT fat at all... when looking at him top down, you can see the indent at his waist... you can feel his ribs easily but not see them... he's just growing FAST.
    ~Lindsay

Jinx is offline Senior Member

Jinx and Shelby both told me at around 4 months. They just stopped eating their midday meals.
    Its all fun and games until the flying monkeys attack

SirFergus is offline Senior Member

Fergus just turned 9 months and we just got him off the lunch time feeding. I'm home at lunch everyday so it wasn't an inconvenience, he is just so into his routine, it's like he has a feeding alarm clock that goes off in his brain!! It's been about 2 weeks now, and so far he hasn't asked for it.

Sarah & Fergus
    British Columbia
    Canada

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

We've actually switched CoCo already... With no adverse effect.

Its because somedays she is home alone in her ex-pen all day... we were giving her lunch portion to her in her kong when we went to work in the morning, which she would start eating right away of course... so she basically was eating two breakfasts and a dinner.

So now we've divided her kibble evenly into breakfast and dinner, and in her kong I mix a little kibble w/ green beans and seal with PB. I might switch up the kong stuffing, maybe do a frozen one once she's big enough to lick out the insides of it (for now she tosses it around until the dry kibble falls out).... but it won't be her lunch portion any more.
    ~Jo & CoCo

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

We stopped giving Frankie lunch at 4 months.

Make sure you mention to your vet how fast he is growing. He'll recommend if you should switch to adult food early or not. Mine had me switch over at 5 months because he was growing too fast. Bad for the joints.
    "Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast