Bug spray on dogs?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bug spray on dogs?

oaklab is offline Junior Member

Default Bug spray on dogs?

Is it O.K. to put bug spray on a dog? I would do this only when going into heavily tick infested areas, in the springtime woods. (I do use Frontline every month). I would assume not to put it where they could directly lick it. I have found ticks on our dog before when using frontline, they do die quickly or are already dead. I know Advantix works differently but we are in water often so it would not be the best choice. I do not believe in stupid questions, the more you ask the more you learn, but will apologize in advance if this is one of them. Thanks

chocolatecoverdlab is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Bug spray on dogs?

What kind of bug spray are you referring to? Insect repellant and pesticides are both commonly referred to as "bug spray", and while I don't know what any potential hazards might be for using repellants that are safe fo human use, insecticides are very dangerous (to humans too) since they contain organophosphates.
    Cadey, mama to Jaida and Bali

imported_queenofthedogs is offline Senior Member

all of the 'applied topicals' require the insect to bite the dog, or at least get on the dog, to work.
    to add another type of 'killer' on top of the one in the topical med is IMO asking for trouble. the liver especially might be affected by the double load of insecticidal ingredients.
    if you are going where there are swarms, you will observe that dogs are rarely bothered by anything except those horrid deerflies, and nothing stops them anyway. let the topicals work as they are supposed to....the tick would need to be attached & sucking for 24 or more hours to transmit any diseases, and they work fine that way, killing the tick long before that.

oaklab is offline Junior Member

I was thinking about insect repellant like the brand "OFF" for instance. Mostly to repell ticks, so I don't bring them home.

imported_Belles mom is offline Senior Member

There are "bug" sprays maade for dogs, I think Farnam makes it. Avon's Skin so Soft "kinda" works, but I'm not really impressed with it, doesn't last long and I've used them for deer flies (which are NASTY NASTY critters!)
    Karen and<br />UAG1 SHR UCDX GRCH Tracker Belle of Bedford RAE JH CDX TT WCX WC CGC (Belle)<br /><br />UCD SHR GRCH BIMBS BBI Belle&#39;s Kodiak Dreamweaver JH UD RAE TT WC CGC (Kodi)<br /><br />SHR UCH BBI Ponderosa&#39;s Big Blond Guy JH RE TT WC CGC (Hoss)

+ Reply to Thread