New (to me) Lab has Hip Dysplasia
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New (to me) Lab has Hip Dysplasia

rightrudder_labluvver is offline Junior Member

Default New (to me) Lab has Hip Dysplasia

Hello, everyone.

My family rescued a dear, sweet yellow Lab, Linus, one month ago. They guessed his age at about one year. We had a hip xray done (he was at the vet for something elese), and I just received word from our vet that he has hip dysplasia. I have done some research on the internet, but I was hoping to find others who have or have had dogs with hip dysplasia to help me understand what to expect and what we can and should be doing now. The vet is sending us home with supplements and we will be sure to keep an eye on his weight and do some light exercise, but I really can't find anything that tells me what the prognosis is or what I should expect from here.

Does anyone have any experience or expertise they are willing to share?

Thank you,
    Tiffany

Here's Linus the day we adopted him. How can you not love that guy?!?!
    LinusandMe.jpg

Samson is offline Senior Member

My first Lab had hip dysplasia diagnosed at 10 years old !

He eventually passed aged 13, and as I wasn't aware of the condition until late in his life, I took no precautions whatsoever until it was brought to my attention.

It sounds as though you are approaching this with far more thought than I ever applied to my first boy and I suspect that he will have a long and happy life with you in spite of this diagnosis.

Weight control and sensible exercise are all that you can do for him as far as I know

Samson is offline Senior Member

stupid website ! I also wanted to say diet and supplements of course but it threw me out !

rightrudder_labluvver is offline Junior Member

Samson, thank you for your reply.

About a week after we got him, my husband remarked that he had never seen Linus sit on his bottom. That made me suspicious. He, unfortunately, is at the vet because they found a mass that had to be biopsied (poor baby) and I asked them to do a hip xray while he was there.

I really appreciate hearing from you. Thanks again.

Tiffany

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I would get him to an ortho vet to confirm this diagnosis. Most regular vets do not have tremendous expertise in properly x-raying hips and diagnosing HD. If this dog is still under 2, it is rather young to be reviewing hips. When people who breed dogs get their animal's hips and elbows cleared via x-ray, they wait until the dog is 2 so that they are fully developed. So - I would not get too worked up about this diagnosis just yet. It could be that he is not done growing, it could be that the positioning on the table for the x-ray was bad.

Does he have any symptoms? What supplements did the vet give you?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

labby is offline Senior Member

Yep agree with Sharon. Get an x-ray done by someone who is very experienced at doing them. Positioning is everything.

Case in point, my girl Raven was x-rayed at 2 and the x-rays sent to OFA, which reads and diagnoses x-rays in the US. The hips came back dysplastic. Now I knew there was no way this bitch was dysplastic so I took her to Dayton where someone more experienced practices. He's written several articles on how important positioning can be. Raven's x-rays came back the second time as Excellent.
    Laura

Top Of The Hill is offline Senior Member

My almost 9 year old girl was diagnosed with HD when she was quite young. We had noticed her somewhat odd gait and the fact that we could hear some clicking when she walked.....among other things. At first we hoped that it was just loose puppy joints, but no such luck. Anyway, the things that our vet advised were mostly common sense.....i.e. not to ever let her get over weight, no major roughousing with other big dogs, supplements, and appropriate exercise. She has done pretty well and this year is the first year we've noticed a fairly substantial change, but she's still doing okay. We've cut our walk times back somewhat, but still doing a couple of shorter walks a day. She would keep going, but from experience we know that at this point if she overdoes it she'll be very stiff later on. FYI - She has no problems with sitting......though generally does the sloppy lab sit. LOL All that said we wouldn't change her for the world and her hip issues have been quite managable.

Is he showing signs of hip dysplasia? Did your vet say how severe (or not) the dysplasia was? What supplements did the vet prescribe?

I'm sure you'll get more responses, as hip/other ortho problems seem quite common. Also (as others have suggested) you can also get a second opinion if you wish to. I didn't do that as I was quite confident in my vet's ability and also I was pretty sure there was a problem even before the x-rays.

Welcome to the forum, congrats on Linus and thanks for rescuing. He's very cute.
    Last edited by Top Of The Hill; 07-01-2013 at 06:30 PM.

dstyer65 is offline Senior Member

I don't have any advice but just want to say bless you for adopting Linus! He is adorable! Welcome and best wishes for a good outcome on his tests.
    Todd, Yellow Lab, 1/4/13
    Mr. Utley, Welsh Corgi, 2/20/02

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by rightrudder_labluvver View Post
    Samson, thank you for your reply.

About a week after we got him, my husband remarked that he had never seen Linus sit on his bottom. That made me suspicious. He, unfortunately, is at the vet because they found a mass that had to be biopsied (poor baby) and I asked them to do a hip xray while he was there.

I really appreciate hearing from you. Thanks again.

Tiffany
    Sloppy sits don't mean anything. Many, many Labs with great hips never sit neatly.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I agree with Sharon. Any dogs can sloopy sit.

I adopted Erns at 4 and he had an odd gait. Later learned it is called bunny hop. I didn't know much about HD and my vet said he suspected HD. On xray both hips were severe.
    He needed to lose weight, regular excersise and not run after frisbees etc. As he is bad we have been careful with him and don't over do it. Some days they have to be dogs so we rest him after.

For us the best thing has been swimming and building up his muscles. He is now 11. He has become worse with arthritis now, but has a good life and we have adjusted to it.

I have heard some dogs stay much the same and others don't. I think with any Lab being careful with their joints is good no matter if they have joint issues or not.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast