New Nutro formula linked to Liver Cancer???
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Nutro formula linked to Liver Cancer???

Jackson'sBuddy is offline Junior Member

Default New Nutro formula linked to Liver Cancer???

1,240 Complaints and Reviews about Nutro Pet Foods

Hey everyone, I came across some very scary readings this afternoon. Apparently people think the new Nutro formula is making dogs throw up bile, excessive diarrhea, and even liver cancer : [.

I've had my almost 5 month old Black Lab on Nutro Natural Choice lamb meal formula for most of the time Ive had him(Stated off with Blue Buffalo but he is allergic to chicken) and we just started a new bag(new formula) last week. Everything is completely normal with him...solid poops, energetic as ever, great coat, and growing normally. Is this something I should really be killing myself worrying over, or does this seem like over protective owners looking to pass blame onto someone?

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I stopped feeding Nutro products to my dogs years ago with the first recalls. Not a food I would choose. Now - I have no idea if there is conclusive evidence that their food causes liver cancer or even how that relationship would be proven. So - no comment really on the state of their products now - just not a food I would choose.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    I stopped feeding Nutro products to my dogs years ago with the first recalls. Not a food I would choose. Now - I have no idea if there is conclusive evidence that their food causes liver cancer or even how that relationship would be proven. So - no comment really on the state of their products now - just not a food I would choose.
    Hmm, yes Nutro wasn't my first choice either...in fact it was somewhat of a last ditch effort after I discovered my pup was allergic to chicken(went to 3 different stores and finding a non-chicken based - large breed puppy food was next to impossible) so I talk to a worker and he recommends the Nutro natural choice lamb and meal formula. Immediately after switching him his diarrhea and excessive itching went away.

About a month ago I actually purchased a bag of Solid Gold Wolf Cub puppy food, but then decided against it because: A. It would've been the 4th different food for my 4 month old pup. B. I was unaware that it was continued to manufactured at the SC Diamond plant.

Also after reading many threads on here regarding food, the consensus seems to be feed whats works best for YOUR dog. Just like humans, every dog is different...With all that being said, like everyone here, I would never intentionally feed my pup something that is gonna cause him harm. :[

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

You don't need LB puppy food for a Lab. I bet if you expanded your search outside of the LB food and included all life stages foods, you'd have more options.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I have found this dog food assessing site to be helpful. Nutro Natural Choice Dry Dog Food | Review and Rating Some people don't like these sites, but this one seems to be pretty good. There are lots of chicken free dog foods to chose from out there. Our Sophie can't have chicken or grain, particularly corn. I would not choose that food either.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    You don't need LB puppy food for a Lab. I bet if you expanded your search outside of the LB food and included all life stages foods, you'd have more options.
    Yeah, this tended to be the biggest problem...found a good quality food, non chicken but not LB puppy..and I also needed it immediately, couldn't wait to order online.. Now from reading on here, and other advice I've gotten I was under the impression he needed to be on a LB formula(something about less amounts of glucosamine and another ingredient to help prevent rapid growth spurts) but who knows this could just be a marketing ploy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sophiesmama View Post
    I have found this dog food assessing site to be helpful. Nutro Natural Choice Dry Dog Food | Review and Rating Some people don't like these sites, but this one seems to be pretty good. There are lots of chicken free dog foods to chose from out there. Our Sophie can't have chicken or grain, particularly corn. I would not choose that food either.
    Thanks, I actually researched using that site before I chose his food. It seems like a mostly unbiased review site, and it is my go to site for dog food. With that said, like everything else I read on the internet, I take it with a grain of salt.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Has anyone told you that you don't need to buy "large breed"??? Any quality puppy food is fine. Not only are labs not considered large breeds, kibble named "large breed" is a marketing gimmic. At least that is the concensus of the members here. If it were me, I'd find a good puppy kibble and wean your pup over to it. There is just so much out there to learn about, isn't there? I have read and read and with all the recalls it is hard to know what to do. If you have heard this about Nutro, I don't think its worth the chance. It's really only a mid-quality food anyway. Hope this helps.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

mrogers is offline Senior Member

If you want a Lamb Meal and Rice formula there is one called NUTRISOURCE Lamb meal and rice. They feed it at the rescue center near us and the dogs all seem to do well on it.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

It is easy to blame food when you lose a dog. I have done it myself when Kassa was diagnosed with cancer, but until they prove it we can only presume. I would be too scared to feed anything if I believed everything written on the net, but need to make informed decisions from what we read and if we are worried about a food find a new one. New forumulas could upset dogs and again if in doub find another food we feel comfortable feeding.

If it hard making those decisions to to the best for our dogs so if my dog is thriving then that is the best I can do.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast