How do i know if my dog has a stomach blockage?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do i know if my dog has a stomach blockage?

Taylor&Luna is offline Member

Default How do i know if my dog has a stomach blockage?

She spent the last 30 minutes vomitting on and off, she threw up alot of junk like grass and a few acorn (whole) looking things. Then she threw up white foam, and lastly the yellow bile. Right before the white foam she would drink water but now after the bile she refuses.

Since she threw up alot im trying to get her to drink water but she just wants to lay down. No shaking, panting , just some fast breathing. She seems a bit lazy but if i open the door to the back yard she jumps up and wags her tail.

What do i do? I am kind of scared.. her eyes are more red than usual and watery. I am looking for an er anything i can do in the mean time??

She just threw up more bile and waged her tail as she went out side.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Sorry your girl is sick! I found a link that might help you. Puppy Vomiting? The Answers You Need To Help Him You didn't say the puppy's age....they can eat the strangest things. Any diarrhea? I would watch her tonigh and if she's not back to a relatively normal self by morning, I'd call a vet. I wouldn't suspect a blockage at this point, I'd lean more toward eating something yucky. We've had members who's pups have thrown up whole dish towels! No kidding! Good luck and let us know how she's doing...
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Samson is offline Senior Member

Those symptoms that you describe mirror my dog's actions prior to surgery for the removal of a blockage.

I would suggest an X-ray.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

When did she poop last? Is her belly soft and relaxed or hard? Is she hunched ove whie standing?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Good thoughts coming

Erns does that if his gut is playing up and when he had the corn cob blockage. I would see the vet as soon as you can.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

CindersMyGirl is offline Senior Member

When Cinder had a blockage she was throwing up in the evening, but otherwise acting pretty normal. I was working in the yard and she was following me around and resting when I would stop to garden. She woke up during the night for me to let her out. I got up early to check on her and the edge of the kennel that is depressed was full of watery vomit. I took her out and she had wobbly legs that couldn't support her when she tried to squat to pee. I rushed her to the vet and she had surgery right away.

So at first it seemed like she had just eaten something she shouldn't have, which she was notorious for. Had she shown weakness or so much watery vomit the day before I would've taken her in sooner. So if your pup just isn't acting right and can't keep anything down I would go to the vet.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I would head to the vet, better safe than sorry. Good thoughts that all is ok.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Last night, I took my dog to the ER. The vet tech at the counter saw her, and asked me twice if we were sure we wanted to proceed with the visit. My mom said no because Luna was wagging her tail and happy. She was the only happy dog there.

Today Luna hasn't vomited. She ate, played, and drank plenty of water.
    She is almost back to normal. Iím still worried because she hasnít pooped today. She did poop after she threw up yesterday and it was a normal sized poop. Also while she was throwing up she did hunch over. Iíve read that it isnít considered constipation until it has been two days. Right now she is asleep, I went over to touch her belly and its soft. Does her position matter? Should I give her canned pumpkin? She is about 7-8 months now and weighs about 50 lbs.

Thank you for the inf.. Your opinions and experience have helped a lot,

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I would not give any pumpkin at this point. Since she is feeling better, I would just watch her. Her belly being soft sounds good. She didn't eat much yesterday and threw up what she did eat, and that could be why she hasn't pooped today. It sounds like she ate something strange and it upset her yesterday. If she doesn't poop by tomorrow, then I'd call the vet.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast