Switching food from Purina ProPlan Large Breed Puppy to ?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Switching food from Purina ProPlan Large Breed Puppy to ?

michaelbb is offline Member

Default Switching food from Purina ProPlan Large Breed Puppy to ?

I've started looking at switching from The Purina Pro Plan "Large Breed" for Puppy to

Wellness Super 5 Mix Large breed puppy & Holistic Select, now I know there's a separate Holistic forum but I figured this would be a great start, I've also seen where people have used Canidae and have excellent results. There's another food that was developed by one of the people that started Blue Buffalo who went out on there own. The name escapes me but the clerk at the store said the difference is that you do not have the life bits in the new one because what was in them is in a spray that they spray over the food when its made.

I have also read where if the food is better than there stools are less because there burning off more instead of going to waste.

What I'm looking for is a food that is better for them and not filled with junk as I've read in other forums and posts here.

I know this may sound kinda mis worded but it is what it is.

We have 2 puppies just turned 6 mos old on the 19th, there both over 53lbs, the vet says there in fantastic shape also .

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Thank you

Hershey123 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by michaelbb View Post
    I've started looking at switching from The Purina Pro Plan "Large Breed" for Puppy to

Wellness Super 5 Mix Large breed puppy & Holistic Select, now I know there's a separate Holistic forum but I figured this would be a great start, I've also seen where people have used Canidae and have excellent results. There's another food that was developed by one of the people that started Blue Buffalo who went out on there own. The name escapes me but the clerk at the store said the difference is that you do not have the life bits in the new one because what was in them is in a spray that they spray over the food when its made.

I have also read where if the food is better than there stools are less because there burning off more instead of going to waste.

What I'm looking for is a food that is better for them and not filled with junk as I've read in other forums and posts here.

I know this may sound kinda mis worded but it is what it is.

We have 2 puppies just turned 6 mos old on the 19th, there both over 53lbs, the vet says there in fantastic shape also .

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Thank you
    I would switch them to Pro Plan Chicken & Rice ALS, Canidae ALS or Canidae Chicken & Rice ALS. Canidae ALS comes in 44lb bags for about $1lb, less in some areas. They are all excellent foods at reasonable prices that are easy to find. PMI Exclusive and Pro Pac are also excellent too.

Be careful what you read on forums about dog food. Most of the people believe their dogs are people and get sucked into paying high prices for foods that are untested and actually lower in quality.

I have 13 dogs and not one of them needs Wisconsin chedder cheese, marigold petals, any kind of berry, tuna, milk thistle or any of the bogus ingredients you find in the "better" foods.

As for Wellness, it is substantially more than what I mentioned for what is essentially a bad supermarket grade food.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

First, you don't need a food for large breeds. Also, why change foods if the vet says they are doing so well?
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Default Why switch

@Pam, what do you feed your lab?

Why switch when the vet says there doing well? Simple there are better foods out there for them with out all the garbage thrown in.

I do not believe everything I read in forums and on the net, that's why I posted the question here to see what other lab owners think and feed there dog's
    Last edited by michaelbb; 03-23-2012 at 09:37 PM.

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

I feed Pro Plan ALS. I have had labs for many and found through trial and error that Pro Plan works the best for my dogs.

If your dog is doing great, why change?

I find that many think they need to feed a better food then after dealing with diarrhea and the dog losing its NICE coat, they come back to the food that worked.

labby is offline Senior Member

If they're doing so well on the ProPlan, why not continue with the ProPlan adult? I only feed ProPlan and require my puppy people to do the same. I like how mine do on the food....the coats are wonderful, they have great muscle definition and they are healthy. What more can anyone ask for?
    Laura

labby is offline Senior Member

Simple there are better foods out there for them with out all the garbage thrown in.
    Are there? The proof is in your dogs. They're doing great on the ProPlan yet that's not good enough cuz someone told you the ingredients weren't all that good? That's someone's opinion. There is a reason that the majority of Lab breeders/showers feed ProPlan.....because it works.

I've tried just about everything on the market. I was sucked into the "there are better foods than ProPlan" syndrome. Know what? My dogs lost coat, they lost muscling, their stools were soft, they developed ear infections and my vet made a ton of money with my trying to figure out what was wrong.

I said bite it and went back to the ProPlan. Know what? The coats improved, the muscling came back, their stools were normal in about 24 hours, the ear infections went away and now my vet calls me because he misses me. Whenever I do go in for routine things everyone asks me what I feed because my dogs look fantastic.

So feed what works and don't worry about what other people say or think.
    Laura

Default Moderator close this thread

Granted everyone has there own views on what to feed there labs, but from what I have read for reply's there isnt a reason to keep this thread open, and I'll leave it at that
    Last edited by michaelbb; 03-23-2012 at 09:42 PM.

You didnt read the my post, and require your new lab owners, once the dog is sold your out of the picture, you tried ALL the other brands? Wow you put your labs through all the different brands and went through the weening them on new and off the old that many time's?

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

@Pam, what do you feed your lab?

Why switch when the vet says there doing well? Simple there are better foods out there for them with out all the garbage thrown in.

I do not believe everything I read in forums and on the net, that's why I posted the question here to see what other lab owners think and feed there dog's
    I feed TOTW Pacific Stream. It is grain free. She does great on it. We get 30lbs for $39.99 at our Farmer's Co-op....
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast