Is this true???
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is this true???

Default Is this true???

I have been doing tons of research on dog food and have a read a couple different times that labs find the smell of lamb offensive so foods that are made with lamb have a lot of added artificial flavors and sugars to hide the smell. Is this really accurate?? And if so should I always steer clear of any dog food that uses lamb?
    ~Amanda

My sweet girl Gemma

Mt first beloved dog Bailey on her last day with us. Run free girl!
    You will always have a special place in my heart!

Hershey123 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lab_Luver_Furever View Post
    I have been doing tons of research on dog food and have a read a couple different times that labs find the smell of lamb offensive so foods that are made with lamb have a lot of added artificial flavors and sugars to hide the smell. Is this really accurate?? And if so should I always steer clear of any dog food that uses lamb?
    Lamb kibbles are not the most palatable for any breed. However, good foods don't use sugar or anything bad. Fermented chicken liver is usually used to improve acceptance.

"Natural Flavor" is fermented chicken liver.

Dani is offline Senior Member

No. And food works differently in any type of dog...not just labs. I have a lab that can't eat chicken before he gets itchy and gunky ears. Does great on Lamb. And the other one is fine on lamb, but does better on Chicken. You have to do what works best for your dog.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lab_Luver_Furever View Post
    have a read a couple different times that labs find the smell of lamb offensive so foods that are made with lamb have a lot of added artificial flavors and sugars to hide the smell. Is this really accurate??
    In a word, no. Labs eat dead frozen carcasses out in the woods but they find lamb offensive? Bahahahahahahahaha!

Just remember, just because it's on the Internet does not mean it's true. I could put up a webpage and say that sawdust is nutritional, but it doesn't mean it's true. Lamb isn't the most digestible of meat source for dogs, but if your dog has issues with chicken, like Dani's, it's a good alternative. Would I feed lamb as a first resort? No. I'd feed chicken or salmon first and save the lamb in case I found that the dog couldn't tolerate one of the other protein sources. I feel the same way about feeding duck or venison. I won't feed it as a first resort, but only if I find a dog won't tolerate anything else.
    Laura

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

I've got several dogs on Lamb, and they do great on it. I have also fed them scraps from our dinner, pure barbequed lamb off the grill, and I can attest that the dogs don't find the smell of lamb offensive at all.

Thanks for the replies!! I thought that it sounded weird. But sometimes you never know and it doesnt hurt to ask
    ~Amanda

My sweet girl Gemma

Mt first beloved dog Bailey on her last day with us. Run free girl!
    You will always have a special place in my heart!

bett is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hershey123 View Post
    Lamb kibbles are not the most palatable for any breed. However, good foods don't use sugar or anything bad. Fermented chicken liver is usually used to improve acceptance.

"Natural Flavor" is fermented chicken liver.
    all dogs don't do well, as dani says on every protein.
    and when my dog was barfing her guts up and i was boiling ground chicken and she was still barfing, my VET suggested boiling ground lamb.
    and that stayed down.
    if a dog is allergic to chicken, lamb is an excellent substitute (even if they aren't allergic to chicken).

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I was cutting up lamb tonight and my 2 were so obssessed with getting some all their manners, and obedience training went out the window. I had to crate them in the end so I could cut it without loosing any.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

+ Reply to Thread