Is Kirkland dry food from Costco any good ?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Kirkland dry food from Costco any good ?

Handysmurf is offline Senior Member

Default Is Kirkland dry food from Costco any good ?

I am currently feeding my dog Blue Buffalo kibble, which I know is one of the better foods I could be using, but the cost of it is always a concern. I would starve to death personally before I ever give my dog anything that could be bad for her, but if there are any equal or better choices for her to eat, I will look at them and find out all I can before making a decision. I was in my local Costco over the weekend and I looked at the ingredients of the dry kibble they sell there under the Kirkland name, and it looked pretty good actually. It is definitely in the same ball park as Blue Buffalo as far as ingredients and nutrients, so I'm just wondering if anybody else has had any experience with the food, or has any knowledge of it whether it would be a more economical choice for my dog and me. Thanks

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I love it. My Puff has been eating it for 10 years; she's now on their formula for mature dogs.

It's made by the same company that makes Diamond Naturals, Diamond, Taste of the Wild, and several other labels. Its formula is VERY similar to that of Diamond Naturals (but not plain Diamond) and, I think, possibly a smidge better than the DN.

I think it's excellent quality.

Some JL members diss the manufacturer because they used a truckload of corn in Georgia maybe 8 years ago with aflatoxin that passed their inspection, got used and tragically poisoned some dogs. They've since gone in for much more extensive inspections and have not had any recurrences of such problems.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Pr. View Post
    They've since gone in for much more extensive inspections and have not had any recurrences of such problems.

So much for more extensive inspections.
    Reports of possible problems with Kirkland Dog Food

I'm at the point where I don't trust Kirkland and don't recommend it.
    Laura

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Here is a review, gets 4 stars. I like this site, some don't, but I like the way they break everything down in terms we can understand.
    Kirkland Dog Food | Review and Rating
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

bett is offline Senior Member

the issue kirkland had, i believe, was with their canned food.
    i've been using it successfully, for about 8 years. chicken and rice, i believe.
    decent quality, and very decent on the pocketbook.
    40 lbs doesn't last too long with my 3.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Are you feeding Kirkland dry kibble or canned?

The article Labby posted says: "Kirkland canned foods are made by American Nutrition in Ogden, UT." Those are the products in question.

I don't feed canned but based on those reports, I'd sure stay away from it for now. Also, there's a strong possibility that American Nutrition makes canned dog food for other labels than Costco's Kirkland.

Kirkland Signature dry kibbles are made by Schell & Kampeter, the maker of Diamond, Diamond Naturals, Taste of the Wild, etc.

"40 lbs doesn't last too long with my 3."

But that IS a problem with my one Lab.

I've found that the kibble becomes progressively less appetizing to Puff as it nears the bottom of the 40
    lb. bag. What works for us is that as soon as I open a new bag, I take a few minutes and transfer the kibble into 10 one gallon Ziplock pastic freezer bags, seal each one after sucking all the air out and, when the Kirkland paper bag is empty, put them back in it for storage. (I'd previously tried transferring the kibble to containers and a variety of approaches--this technique works best for Puff's appetite.)

Last edited by Bob Pr.; 03-06-2012 at 07:26 PM.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

bett is offline Senior Member

We have a hard plastic bin ( for lack of another container type thing) and we keep most of it in that.no complaints from these 3 but then again.........they would eat just about anything. I think.

Handysmurf is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the reviews and links everyone. It looks as if the kibble could be a viable alternative (I don't feed my dog canned) that I may get and let her try it atleast. Even if we try and she hates it, I can donate the remainder to the local shelter. I keep her food in the pantry in a huge air tight tub that I scoop out of. She goes through a 30lb bag of Blue Buffalo a month which is about $50 in this area, so something a little less costly would be nice. I'll pick up a bag and try it

-Mike-
    Paramus, NJ

Would you like to buy a vowel ?

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Handysmurf View Post
    Thanks for the reviews and links everyone. It looks as if the kibble could be a viable alternative (I don't feed my dog canned) that I may get and let her try it atleast. Even if we try and she hates it, I can donate the remainder to the local shelter. I keep her food in the pantry in a huge air tight tub that I scoop out of. She goes through a 30lb bag of Blue Buffalo a month which is about $50 in this area, so something a little less costly would be nice. I'll pick up a bag and try it
    We pay $46 for 30lbs of TOTW. The bigger the bag, the better the savings. A 15 lb bag is $27. We use a big Rubbermaid bin too.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Just bought a new 40lb bag for Hershey Kisses today. She loves it and does well o. It.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast