inner thigh rash
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: inner thigh rash

English is offline Member

Default inner thigh rash

I have a 4 1/2 month yellow lab. He came to me with what I thought was a dirty belly. I was just using a wet paper towel on it. This area looks so much better. Now I am noticing on both of his inner thighs he has small elevated red bumps. He has been likcing them to the point that his fur has become darker in the area. The vet first thought he might be prone to allergies or it might be puppy acne. The trainer I am working with thinks it's a reaction to poultry. Any other thoughts?

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Sophie had it bad! Her hair even fell out on her inner thighs, she had whelps and red bumps. The vet said it was either flea allergy or food allergy. It doesn't take many fleas if dogs are allergic to them. The vet put Sophie on Comfortis, got rid of fleas all together. Then he put her on an antibiotic and we changed her food. The vet said to go grain free and chose a protein she hadn't had before. We put her on TOTW Pacific Stream, since she had never had fish. Within 2 weeks the change was amazing. By the time the antibiotics were gone, the bumps were healing, and her hair started to grow back. She was even getting bald spots on her flanks and ears. She looks beautiful now, her hair has grown back and she is so healthy and her coat is beautiful! Plus her ear infections stopped. The allergies started between 3 and 4 months old. The vet said that allergies often appear as the puppy ages, that is why the food the breeder had her on, which I used started causing problems.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

English is offline Member

Thanks! How would I know if he has fleas? The vet took a metal comb to his back. Could he have fleas with advantix? I am in the process of switching him to a trout food. What are your suggestions on how slowly or quickly to change the food?

We changed Sophie immediately. She had no gastric upset. I think she has a cast iron stomach anyway judging by all the stuff she steals to eat! She is an expert counter surfer and will steal stuff she's not supposed to have. When the vet did the flea comb, did he see any? I read that it only takes one bite in allergic dogs to cause flea allergy dermatitis. The vet didn't put Sophie on prednisone because she is too young. He did put her on antibiotics, because the bumps are symptoms of a skin infection. Probably from all the scratching. You can give your dog a benadryl. He can have 25mg for 25 lbs weight, twice a day. We give Sophie 50mg and she is 63lbs. The benadryl will help with the allergy. Advantix works well, but Comfortis kills fleas within 30 min and it kills them before they can lay eggs. So we sprayed our house twice, a week apart and put her on Comfortis. We never see a flea anymore.
    Last edited by Sophiesmama; 11-22-2011 at 10:35 PM.
    ~Pam

8.5 mo.

brianna708 is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    I have a 4 1/2 month yellow lab. He came to me with what I thought was a dirty belly. I was just using a wet paper towel on it. This area looks so much better. Now I am noticing on both of his inner thighs he has small elevated red bumps. He has been likcing them to the point that his fur has become darker in the area. The vet first thought he might be prone to allergies or it might be puppy acne. The trainer I am working with thinks it's a reaction to poultry. Any other thoughts?

I have a 3 year old yellow lab also and he just started to get the same thing. He has been getting these red elevated bumps that look like pimples. I brought him to the vet and they put him on antibiotics and the redness started to go away. After finishing the medicine he still has the red bumps. They look horrible and he keeps licking them and I feel so bad. I bought medicated shampoo from the vet and gave him a bath and applied a lot of it to wear the red bumps are but they just arent going away. I dont know what to do. Please if any one has suggestions please let me know! thank you

The first thing I would do is go grain free and try to chose a food with a protein that your lab hasn't had before. We chose TOTW Pacific Stream because it is grain free, and the protein is salmon, which Sophie had never had. The vet said that grains and chicken and even lamb are often the culprits in allergic dogs. We were told to feed nothing else for at least 6 weeks. With 2 weeks her hair was growing back. A little later the rash started to disappear. Her coat grew back and she quit digging at herself. Also, if our dog has even 1 flea, an allergic dog can get flea allergy dermatitis. We put Sophie on Comfortis and never see a flea anymore. Since your lab is 3 yrs old, he can have prednisone. Ask your vet if that is an option.
    ~Pam

8.5 mo.

Yes the vet already gave me predisone to give to my lab but it didnt completely get rid of the red bumps. They got lighter and less flakey but they didnt go away. After the predisone was finished the redness came back. Also I wanted to know if any one else lab has muscle spasms, because my 3 year old lab goes through these spasms and his whole body like stiffens up and he cant walk and I just massage his legs and neck to help him get out of the spasm. The vet said that I may need to go to a neurologist because this could possibly lead to epiplepsy. If anyone has this problem to please let me know what i can do about both the rash and the spasms

I have seen posts on here about dogs with epilepsy. I think I would change his diet. I'd get him off grains right away. I also wouldn't give chicken as the vet says it is the #1 protein that dogs are allergic to. You would be surprized at what allergies can do. Our Sophie had repeated ear infections. The vet said it was from allergies. I often wondered how allergies could cause an ear infection. We put her grain free, and chose salmon since she never had it before. The difference has been amazing! Gone is the dry skin, the scratching, the bald spots, the ear infections. Her coat has gown back, she is so healthy now, and beautiful! If I were you, that is what I'd do before I do anything else. If the meds you gave him helped, but didn't cure it, I would think that could be because he is continuing to get what is causing it. It could be environmental allergies, but I'd try the food first. Did you check him for fleas?
    ~Pam

8.5 mo.

yes i have checked him for fleas but I think I am going to change his food. What is the food called that you give your dog?

Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream. We get it at our local farmer's co-op, but it can be ordered online too. Here is the link to their cite.
    Taste of the Wild : Home Also, give benadryl. It will help while you see if the food change helps. You can give 25mg pill for each 25 lbs of weight. Sophie is 65lbs and we give her 50mg.
    Last edited by Sophiesmama; 11-30-2011 at 07:40 PM.
    ~Pam

8.5 mo.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast