Uncontrolled Pee'ing at 4 months?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Uncontrolled Pee'ing at 4 months?

iammike is offline Senior Member

Default Uncontrolled Pee'ing at 4 months?

This is probably normal but I saw something tonight that concerned me.

Charlie will be 4 months old in a couple of days. Since he got his last shots this week I have taken him off puppy pads and we've started working on outside potty training. All with that seems to be going well with the expected accidents of a 4 month old puppy that is also going through a transition in potty methods. All good there...

Lately though, sometimes he pee's at times when you'd never think he would. Just after going out and pee'ing, we'd come inside and he'd pee again within 15 minutes. He's also had more accidents in his kennel than normal. To this point I've still played it off as adjustment in potty methods plus probably not peeing all he can outside expecting another trip and treat soon after. He's smart.

Tonight though, I took him out and he pee'd and poo'd. We came inside and he got his treat plus kennel free time for doing a good job. About 40 minutes later he was just sitting on the floor and he started pee'ing. No assuming the squat or pacing around first or anything. He was actually pee'ing on his front leg. He acted almost surprised himself.

My concern is should he still be experiencing occasional complete lack of control of his bladder to that degree at 4 months? I'm concerned that what's been happening in his kennel isn't him meaning to go but instead it just happening without him doing anything.

Just worried if it's normal or not at his age. I can call the vet to ask tomorrow but hoping I can get some comfort from other knowledgable Lab owners tonight.
    ...at 6 months old.

In addition, he certainly has better control than I expect from him at times.

Couple of days ago I went in to Tokyo only expecting to be gone 3 to 4 hours tops. Unfortunately on my way back, the trains got held up because someone fell or jumped in front of a train and got killed. It ended up being just over 6 hours before I got home...expecting a mess but he was clean as a whistle and ready to pee outside!
    ...at 6 months old.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Could be a UTI. You need to see a vet asap.

Just so you know - there is no reason to wait for your puppy to be 4 months old with all shots before potty training. Most 4 month old puppies are close to entirely housebroken. Have you not had this puppy out at all for the last 8 weeks?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Only when I could take him places where other dogs didn't free roam and potty. I don't have a yard or anywhere I could go for potty that wasn't frequented by other dogs.
    ...at 6 months old.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Is Parvo rampant in Japan?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

I would have to ask. I know my vet specifically recommended against too many outdoor excursions until he had all his shots and pet stores will not let a puppy touch the ground until he's had all his shots.
    ...at 6 months old.

Update on Charlie...

Saw the Vet today. Had to get a urine sample from Charlie before I went. Operation Urine Collection was a CLEAN success but when that cup slid under Charlie, he looked back like WTF?!?!?!

No Bacteria and no Blood in the urine but slightly elevated white blood cells and some remanents that indicate that an infection was present very recently. Put Charlie on anti-biotics and anti-inflamitories just to be safe but looks like he's in the clear for whatever it was.
    ...at 6 months old.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

You are a very observant daddy! Good for you for being concerned to ask for help here, and to get him to the vet! Kudos!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

+ Reply to Thread