Comfortis-Need help getting her to take it!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comfortis-Need help getting her to take it!

bprevost is offline Junior Member

Default Comfortis-Need help getting her to take it!

Hello All,
    My 3 yr old yellow lab just will not take her Comfortis pill (I can't blame her it smells awful!).

We tried giving it to her whole, (placing it down her throat and have her swallow) but she throws it back up along with her meal. (We always give it to her with food)

Hiding it in a treat does not work either.

Crushing the whole pill and mixing it with one meal semi works but I don't think she gets the whole dose, there's still crumbles of it left on the floor.

What if I crushed it more finely and mixed in only about 1/2 of the crushed pill per meal? Then just give some with breakfast and some with dinner? Would that be ok? I'm thinking maybe the smell would be hidden more easily with a smaller amount.

Does anyone have any other ideas? We really want her to stay on this but its getting to be a real challenge.

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

I would put it to the back of her throat, hold her mouth shut and up, then blow on her nose. Licking her nose a couple of times should get her to swallow it.

She will swallow it but later she throws it back up along with her food. She hasn't thrown it up when its crushed.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

It's too big to put in their throat and make them swallow it. I have the same problem getting my dogs to eat it. What I do, is I break it into 4 pieces. Then put each piece in a little piece of weiner, and let it sit for a few minutes. The pill will get soft. I then trick my dogs by giving a small piece of weiner with no pill first. This has been working for me. I tried breaking them up at putting in the kibble, they'd eat around it! They must taste awful.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Try pressing pill into peanut butter on a spoon. When the dog takes the spoon scrape the PB onto the roof of the mouth. All the licking should take the pill down.

I tried peanut butter. It didn't work. She ate the pb and spit out the pill. The Comfortis pills are about the size of a nickle and hard as a rock. They are supposed to be chewable....NOT! Both my dogs won't eat them. Letting pieces soften in a piece of weiner is the only thing that has worked for us.
    ~Pam

8.5 mo.

Hi Again All,

Thanks for the advice. Someone I know with a Great Dane says he has to put the pill out on the counter for a day so that his dog gets used to the pill's smell. Then he breaks it up into 2 or 3 pieces and feeds it to her in her food.

I've got another week or so to think about my next "move" and I appreciate all your feedback. We should all write to the Comfortis manufacturer and get them to make their product more palatable for our babies!

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Well, use a different flea option? I use Frontline and am happy with it.

Frontline didn't work at all for us. We used in 2 months in a row, and it did nothing. Advantix worked, but didn't last the full month. Plus Sophie has dry skin and the vet said the oil in the skin is what distributes the medication. So Comfortis it is. We tried braking it up in her food and she would eat every kibble pellet and still eat around the Comfortis. We started letting the pieces soften in weiner and it works! Yay!
    ~Pam

8.5 mo.

CajunGolfDog is offline Junior Member

We do the medicine in the treat ordeal but the treat is this mix. Freshpet® Deli Fresh Chicken Adult Dog Food - Food Center - Dog - PetSmart Just cut this stuff up and hid it in there and he just goes crazy for it. Doesn't notice the medicine because this stuff is his favorite treat.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast