How to know how much food to feed a puppy...
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to know how much food to feed a puppy...

steveandginger is offline Senior Member

Default How to know how much food to feed a puppy...

Folks --

I realize this is a very difficult question, but the only answer I have is to monitor their appearance, and no obvious increase or decrease in the amount of fat suggests you are doing fine...but is there a better way?

It is easier with a grown dog (monitoring the weight gives you your answer), but with a puppy who is growing rapidly, I find it hard to know how to keep up with feeding the right amount. We certainly don't want to UNDER-feed her; right now, she's 9 1/2 weeks old, 15 pounds, and we are feeding her 1 cup in the morning, and 1 cup at dinnertime. Sometimes, she comes back to her empty bowl during the day, looking for food -- which makes me wonder if we aren't feeding quite enough.

We are feeding Euk L/B Puppy food at this point, which is 362 kcal per cup. Problem is, the bag suggests that for a 6 to 11 week-old puppy, weighing 15 pounds, we should be feeding her 3 3/4 cups of food per day -- almost TWICE what we are feeding her. I don't think she could POSSIBLY eat that much, nor does it seem to me that she should. We were feeding our 4 year-old adult Lab Misty (75 pounds) 2 cups per day of 371 kcal/cup food (roughly 740 kcal/day), and this was roughly the right amount to keep her weight steady; I can't imagine feeding a 15 pound puppy TWICE that amount of food/calories...am I missing something here? Feeding 3 3/4 cups of 362 kcal/cup food would be over 1350 calories per day -- for a puppy? Some small adult PEOPLE don't need that many calories...!!!

Steve

Tanya is offline Senior Member

two cups seems like very little food for a little baby. i wouldn't judge by a lab going to a food bowl though- they tend to eat eat eat.

I would personnaly probably feed 1 cup three times a day for a total of 3 cups a day.

Is this the food the breeder was feeding? How much were they giving? they would honestly be the first person I ask, they should be able to give me a solid answer.
    Last edited by Tanya; 11-04-2011 at 04:47 PM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

citronella is offline Senior Member

HI, Our breeder told us to feed based on the food. We are feeding 2 cups a day and then it should be increased at 4 months up to 4 cups a day until she is a year. But the brand I give is high in protein.
    I would suggest to ask the breeder as well. You could pick up the bowl after she's finished eating so she isn't expecting anything.
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

Yes, this is the food the breeder was feeding...and they were feeding, they thought, 1 cup per puppy, two times per day -- but leaving any extra food out (that wasn't eaten immediately) so they could nibble through the day. Anyway, that's how we came up with the 1 cup, two times per day. Gracie was, of course, much smaller then, though...

Maybe we can try 3 times per day, 3 cups total, and see how it goes, if two cups does not sound like enough to all of you...

And yes, picking up the bowl once it's empty makes sense, thanks for the suggestion.

Steve

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I found this info:

Guide Dogs of America Recommend Feeding Schedule

Below was information given to me by Guide Dogs of America on how much food I should feed my puppy in training.

When you first receive your 8 week old puppy you will be feeding him/her 3/4 of a cup 3 X a day soaked (Canidae Dog Food) in hot water until it softens. Keep doing this for about one week, then taper off on time of soaking so eventually he/she will be eating dry food with a little water.

Increasing the food gradually so that at 4 months you will switch to feeding twice a day, an average of 1 1/2 cups 2 X a day

When your puppy is approximately fifteen months old, switch to feeding him/her once a day. An average of 3 cups a day (depending on the size of your puppy, if your not sure ask us)

One of the great things about raising a guide dog puppy is I have a tremendous resource for any questions I have about my dogs. If I think Stetson is eating too much, have a training question, or a puppy raising question I can check with my group leader, our group trainer, any of the puppy raisers, or the puppy raising department at Guide Dogs of America.

I hope this helps. My vet did tell me young puppies are growing so fast they need lots of calories. Good Luck!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Thanks much, Pam. I need to check the kcal per cup on Canidae, but if similar to what we are feeding, we are not TOO far off (it suggests 3/4 x 3, or 2 1/4 per day, versus our 2 per day...)

Great info there, and I didn't know that you were raising a guide dog puppy -- how cool!

Steve

I also found this on Gotta Love a Lab website:

Feeding & Puppy Weight

Your Lab puppy weight is very important. A Labrador puppy grows at an amazing rate so it is very important to feed them the best puppy food that you can afford. It is more critical to feed them the better foods when they are growing and if necessary a less expense food can be purchased after they are a year old.

When you get your puppy at about 8 weeks of age it should weigh approximately 13-14 lbs. As the puppy gets older the accepted lab puppy weight is 2 lbs for each week of age. Therefore, your lab puppy weight at 12 weeks should be about 24 lbs.

Remember that female Labradors generally weigh less than male Labradors. If your female puppy at 12 weeks weighs 22 lbs., that is acceptable.

If your Lab puppy weight is more than the two lbs. per week of age you will need to cut back on the amount you are feeding them. This ideal Lab puppy weight gauge is only good until the age of 10 months.

This is what my vet told us too....rule of thumb 2 lbs a week... Hope this helps Oh and Steve, we aren't raising a guide dog puppy. I have just found their website to be very accurate and informative, since raising dogs, many of them labs....is what they do.
    ~Pam

8.5 mo.

labby is offline Senior Member

general rule of thumb, 1 cup per month of life up until around 4-6 months.
    Laura

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Maxx gets 1 1/2 cups twice a day. I was breaking it up in to 3 feedings per day, per breeders advice, until about 12 weeks. Maybe she is returning to her bowl because your breeder was allowing "free feeding" when you got her? 2 cups a day seems like too little to me but I also know nothing about Eukanuba! The bag of food we feeed states 477 K/CALS/Cup.

Sometimes if you wait too many hours between feedings with a young puppy, they will eat like they are starved and it may cause gastric upset. That is one reason I fed 3 times a day. Good luck figuring out all this new parenting stuff!
    ~Pam

8.5 mo.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast