How much do pups sleep per day?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How much do pups sleep per day?

Default How much do pups sleep per day?

My lab pup is 9 weeks old. He seems to sleep quite a bit and is otherwise playing and exploring as I'd expect a pup to do. But he does sleep more than I expected he would so I wondered, "What is the average amount of sleep a lab pup might need per day?"

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

There are others with more experience here. As I remember it at 9 weeks, 1 hour up and active, and then 2-4 hours napping. They are just babies. Their jobs in life are eat, poop, and grow. They grow fast and the majority is accomplished while sleeping.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Like Ed says - they sleep probably 3/4 of an average day. I don't know if you have human children but if you do you know that babies sleep all the time. It is exhausting growing at the rate they are growing.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

ScorpianAbarth is offline Senior Member

As Hershey says, they are growing a million miles a minute at the moment and that's done while sleeping. When Zack was a baby he's sleep a good 18 - 20 hours a day - sometimes I swear he'd wake up bigger after an afternoon nap!

Phew! I'm feeling so much better with your posts. I AM a mom with 2 human children but they were not good nappers and my oldest, now 14 didn't sleep through the night alone until age 2. We've had Charlie just a week now. I have been telling people, if my children slept as well as Charlie, I'd have more than 2! He just woke from about 3 hour nap. He also went from 10:30 pm until about 5:15 am in his den (crate) last night! I was getting nervous that all the sleeping was a sign of trouble. THANK YOU ALL!

Mark_J is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    Like Ed says - they sleep probably 3/4 of an average day. <snip>
    Tell me this, has anyone figured out how to get them to do that sleeping all at once? Now that would be some good info!!

labby is offline Senior Member

lots. lol. they tend to sleep more when they're growing and at 9 weeks they're in their first big growth spurt.
    Laura

+ Reply to Thread