Fish Oil supplements
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fish Oil supplements

Codysmom is offline Junior Member

Default Fish Oil supplements

Does anyone give their labs fish oil? I've heard it can be really good for their skin and coat. What dosage and can you give them the same kind we humans take? It's pretty inexpensive at Sam's and I imagine more expensive if made specially for dogs. Just curious!
    Thanks!
    Linda
    Linda

javasmom is offline Senior Member

I give Java Grizzly Salmon Oil (made for dogs).
    I paid $40 for a 6 month supply at Pet Meds | Dog Supplies | Pet Supplies | Pet Products | Pet Supply

You can also give them human grade fish oil capsules.
    For a dog between 40-60 lbs, dosage is 1000 mg per day. If the dog is larger or has joint issues, the dosage is 1500 mg-2000 mg per day.
    If you do give it, start off with a low dosage, it may cause tummy upset at first.
    Last edited by javasmom; 06-08-2011 at 09:00 AM.

labby is offline Senior Member

If you feed a good dog food and it's the right one for your dog, you do not need to supplement with fish oil or anything else. IF you decide to give fish oil and it's not preserved with Vitamin E, you must also give Vitamin E. Essential fatty acids (fish/salmon oil) create free radicals in the body, due to the peroxidation of the fats ingested and the fat stored on the body. Free radicals must be controlled, and vitamin E, an anti-oxidant, does this. Always give E when giving EFA's.

I do not believe in supplementing anything besides Glucosamine/Chrondritin since the levels needed are not in the food. As I said, if you are feeding the proper food for your dog, it contains everything the dog needs and supplementing can actually throw off the balance of the food, creating a whole other set of problems.

And if this is a puppy you NEVER supplement a puppy.
    Laura

spartygirl is offline Junior Member

I give my dog fish oil every day. I first started giving it to him after I adopted him because his hair wasn't in great shape and he had dry skin, but after awhile I noticed an improvement in his mobility. My vet recommends fish oil for a number of reasons - it's good for the heart, joints, skin and hair. Fish oil made for humans is cheaper and basically the same as what's marketed for dogs, so I don't waste my money on the stuff at pet stores. I buy it at Meijer when they have their 2-for-1 sale. You might want to check with your vet before you provide any supplements, though.

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labby View Post
    If you feed a good dog food and it's the right one for your dog, you do not need to supplement with fish oil or anything else. IF you decide to give fish oil and it's not preserved with Vitamin E, you must also give Vitamin E. Essential fatty acids (fish/salmon oil) create free radicals in the body, due to the peroxidation of the fats ingested and the fat stored on the body. Free radicals must be controlled, and vitamin E, an anti-oxidant, does this. Always give E when giving EFA's.

I do not believe in supplementing anything besides Glucosamine/Chrondritin since the levels needed are not in the food. As I said, if you are feeding the proper food for your dog, it contains everything the dog needs and supplementing can actually throw off the balance of the food, creating a whole other set of problems.

And if this is a puppy you NEVER supplement a puppy.
    Good point...forgot to mention the Vit. E.....Java gets 200 iu of Vit. E each day with her Salmon Oil.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

I've never heard fish oil to be a problem w/ a puppy, esp since it's a great immune supplement in addition to coat supp. I give mine 2 Kirkland fish oil + 1 vit E caps a day and have been for years. Several vets have suggested it to my puppy owners also.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

murphsmom is offline Senior Member

Murphy and Sully love some extra sardines in their food every once in while. =) It stinks up my house so can has to go directly outside but it's a nice extra treat.

MurphySullyHogan

BlackLabbie is offline Senior Member

Apollo gets 2 fish oil caplets and a Vit. E caplet everyday. He has a little mild arthritis. He, of course, also gets Cosequin Gluc/Chon. His mobility is great, and his coat is absolutely phenominal.
    -Stephanie
    "Apollo", CGC- black Labrador Retriever
    "Molson"- buff American Cocker Spaniel
    "Patty"- black American Cocker Spaniel
    "Pepper" Najaco's Northeast Storm- black Labrador Retriever 5/11/92-9/18/05

http://blacklabbie.blogspot.com/

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by windycanyon View Post
    I've never heard fish oil to be a problem w/ a puppy, esp since it's a great immune supplement in addition to coat supp. I give mine 2 Kirkland fish oil + 1 vit E caps a day and have been for years. Several vets have suggested it to my puppy owners also.
    Check the label, a lot of fish oil also contains calcium.
    Laura

hmhershey is offline Senior Member

Labby- do you suggest not giving puppies Glucosamine/chond? I'm not currently giving bentley any but have been thinking about starting. When I do start is human grade ok?

Bentley and his favorite toy. 2/5/11

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast