One year old labrador puppy not eating
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One year old labrador puppy not eating

Sariyu is offline Junior Member

Default One year old labrador puppy not eating

My one year old labrador puppy hunter has stopped eating a couple of days ago.

He is not bloated, he is going to the toilet and drinking properly but turns his nose up to food and walks off. He might have a mouthful every now and then but when i come home from work his bowl is normally empty.

I have taken him to the vet and she just put him onto antibiotics which seemed to help at first but he stopped and his dinner has been on the floor now for an hour.

I cut down his food portions so he might be hungrier when it came to his next meal but no good.

i am really worried and have a bad feeling he might have a twisted stomach etc.

Has anyone else had this problem?

EDIT: He is acting normal with the same amount of energy. The dog food I am feeding him is called ADVANCE

deidra is offline Senior Member

I would take him back to the vet and see what they say. It could also be is is being picky and wants different food.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

I was thinking he might have a twisted stomach (just got pet insurance thank god) and i have tried adding multiple things to his food and it doesnt help.

There are also no female dogs hanging around but i might try leaving his food down for a certain amount of time.
    Last edited by Sariyu; 04-29-2011 at 07:17 AM.

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

Is it just his food he doesn't want - will he eat treats? Just wondering if there's a possibility the bag of food is bad. Sometimes we can't smell it, but the dog knows!

no he is very hesitant with treats too. he is mainly holding them in his mouth at the moment. he will eat some eventually not much though.

Garth is offline Registered Users

Have you tried cooked chicken?

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Huh? Why is he on antibiotics? Does he have an infection?

Dogs do go through periods where they are simply not that interested in eating. You say that the food is gone at the end of the day, so clearly (unless some other animal is eating it) he does eat the food eventually. You have made a grazer for yourself. If you want him to eat the food immediately, stop leaving it on the floor all day. Put it down for 15 minutes and if he does not eat, lift it and offer it in the evening. Keep repeating until he learns to eat in 15 minutes.

Bloat or a twisted stomach is not a casual thing. Your dog would be retching and unable to poop. He would appear uncomfortable and would certainly NOT be acting normally. I don't think your dog has a physical issue from what you describe.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

labby is offline Senior Member

Check the dog's mouth. Make sure there is not a cracked tooth or a stick caught in there. Next I would be concerned with the food. Could it be spoiled? I'm with Sharon.....why the antibiotics unless it's Flagyl and the vet thinks it might help with an upset stomach. A dog that suddenly quits eating is something not to be taken lightly. When my dogs won't eat I realize there is something serious going on and will camp out at the vet's if needed.

I would suggest a complete blood panel to see if something else is going on. This doesn't necessarily sound like a spoiled fussy dog to me, this sounds like the dog is ill and consequently the reason needs to be found out. If your vet won't take this seriously, then find one that will.
    Laura

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Check the dog's mouth. Make sure there is not a cracked tooth or a stick caught in there.
    This is what I would check first. (Although your vet should have checked this first thing!).
    "Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

no he doesnt have a cracked tooth. i gave him dinner last night and he didnt eat it so i took it up after 15 mins. gave it to him this morn and he ate half of it. so i am thinking we are just feeding him too much and he doesnt need as much food anymore. but would that happen suddenly?

anyway i am going to cut down his food by 2/3 and see how he goes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast