Ear flap is filled with fluid...blood?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ear flap is filled with fluid...blood?

Sedonarona is offline Member

Default Ear flap is filled with fluid...blood?

Our Lab's ear has filled with a fluid. Not the canal itself, but the skin flap has puffed up like a half filled water ballon and it hurts when we apply pressure to the skin. In our own research, we fear it is a hematoma that has to be drained and that the fluid is perhaps blood. While we are on our way to the Vet this afternoon, does anyone have any history with this problem? We are also wondering how much something like this will cost to fix. Thank you for any and all information you can provide.

Apologies if this has been discussed, I looked and didn't see anything regarding it.

I had a cocker spaniel growing up that shook her head and broke the blood vessels in it. (She had ear mites). She had the same blown up ear kind of thing going on. They had to drain it and then fix the blood vessels. I was in middle school at the time so I don't know how much it cost. It was also a long time ago!

PiperMom is offline Junior Member

Sounds like a nice Hematoma. I am not sure where you are but in FL its about 200. I actaually learned from the vet how to drain it for future needs because we have had it 3 times.

labby is offline Senior Member

Ear hematoma. See the vet

Aural Hematoma
    Laura

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I had a dog with an ear hematoma - took quite a while to heal and then she immediately re-injured it when her cone of shame came off. The first time I had it fixed they did it the more complex (read expensive) way that kept it looking normal and pretty. The second time - I just had it drained which left it looking like a cauliflower ear (kind of scrunched up with scar tissue). If she injured it a 3rd time - well - I would have had it removed.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

georgie is offline Senior Member

Our first lab had an ear hematoma. The vet just drained it with a needle & large syringe. It never came back. The vet said it could have come from her shaking her head. She swam alot & always shook her head after swimming.

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Mitzi has had it twice in the same ear (years apart). The vet said she could drain it or leave it alone and it gets readsorbed in a few weeks. If you leave it, the cartlidge may be damaged and the ear may heal wrinkled or not stand out normally depending where the hematoma is.
    It's a good reason to not let puppies bite ears.

DiMacQ is offline Junior Member

Dewey has had an ongoing problem with this, and our vet advised us to have surgery with stints put in, and almost a quilting of the ear. We tried just letting it dry up a few times, but the last time it was huge in both ears, so we went for the surgery. We were told that it will just keep happening again, as the ear has split open and will continue to fill up with blood. It was getting worse.

Not sure we did the right thing as it took several months for the one ear to actually heal up, but at least he won't have to deal with this anymore. I think it could have healed better with better vet care. He was not given antibiotics preventatively, and sent home with open "wounds". Naturally, he got infected. As I have complained about before... its time to find a new vet.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Went thru this many years ago and steroids took care of it. Never came back and I never found the cause.

Hoping your dog does not need surgery.

Here is a product that is a natural plant steroid you may want to discuss with your vet. I have never used it but know someone who does (from a holistic vet) and knowing what I know now (as opposed to many years ago) I try to avoid steroids and if needed in the future would try this product.

Moducare Sterinol (sterols and sterolins for immune support)

+ Reply to Thread