Twice This Has Happened!!!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Twice This Has Happened!!!

Tackleberry is offline Junior Member

Default Twice This Has Happened!!!

This past Saturday morning, in the wee hours, Abbey (our lab) became sick with vomiting and heaving. She started out by incessantly licking the carpet, drinking alot of water, and pacing. She coughed a few times as though she had something hung in her throat. I did give her a T-bone with some meat still on it as a treat (I realize I shouldn't have) after her dinner. About 5 hours later she started with the heaving and coughing, eventually vomiting.

We feed our dogs (all 3) dry dog food with some sort of soup on top of it (approx 1/2 measuring cup). Usually Campbell's condensed chicken noodle or condensed veggie beef. We have given them this for a LONG time with no issues.

Last Friday (1st episode) we were out of the normal soup we feed them so my wife put Campbells chunky chicken and sausage gumbo in with their food. It has rice in it. All 3 dogs ate it and were fine until 5 hours later when Abbey (the lab) started with her episode. It lasted several hours and then she was fine.

We went to the store and got some cans of veggie beef, chicken noodle, and chicken and rice soup. Abbey has been fine with no carpet licking, grass eating, coughing, heaving, or vomiting until last night, late in the night. Her dinner last night was dry food with the 1/2 cup of chicken and rice soup on top.

Her second episode started about the same time of night as the first, lasted about the same amount of time, and had the same symptoms. I'm wondering if she has an intolerance to rice. I know that two occurrances aren't really enough to establish a pattern or an intolerance, but it's definitely strange to say the least.

Note: The only symptom of anything wrong is the vomiting. She still has solid stool and is regular in her defecation. She does burp and pass gas quite a bit during the episodes though.

Have any of you fellow lab owners had the same type of issue?

Dani is offline Senior Member

Wow...how much do your dogs weigh? With all of those extra calories and sodium, I can only imagine them to be huge...so no, I don't have the issue, because I don't feed my dog garbage. Sorry that is not helpful, but I'm kind of astonished.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Soup is high in sodium, so not a very good thing to give them. They won't eat it plain?

I'm guessing her episode has to do with the gumbo stuff. Rice is actually given to soothe their system after vomiting or diarhhea, so I don't think it would be that.

How is she now?
    "Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Oh, instead of soup, you can give them unsalted canned green beans with their dry food. Dogs seem to love it and it won't put weight on them.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

You should not have to add anything to their dry food to bribe them to eat - but since this is a long standing habit, canned dog food is a WAY better choice. As has been said - canned soup is very high in sodium and not appropriate for dogs.

I'd be concerned that your dog may have ingested a broken off piece of the t-bone (I assume it was a cooked one - raw would not be much of an issue). This may be producing an intermittent blockage in her gut. I think you should see a vet.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

agree with the above, canned soup is not at all appropriate for a dog's diet, especially not daily. there are plenty of preservatives and LOTS of salt in there, in fact, us humans shoudl beware the amount of salt in canned soup.

Why did you start adding soup to your dog's diet? If you want to add something yummy why not go with wet dog food or something natural like pumpkin (no pie filling, pure pumpkin) or yogurt?
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Tackleberry is offline Junior Member

The dogs were eating this stuff long before I was around. They're my wife's dogs. According to her this issue has never happened before.

Thank you to those who suggested alternatives to the soup. I'll try something else.

Oh yea, plain yogurt is a great one!!

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

Another thought is the beginning of an obsessive/compulsive disorder. We had a Chessie that started out that way and progressed to eating anything he could put his mouth on until he'd vomit a few times and then he'd be over it...initially for a month or so and then it became weekly and then everynight. (always at night! Hours of keeping him from eating curtains, socks etc.). All manner of tests were done on him...and all kinds of medications including epilepsy drugs, antacids, tranquilizers and finally he was put on prozac. That worked for a year and then it came back only this time he got a blockage. In his typical, untypical self, he didn't show the regular signs of blockage and so by the time he had surgery his intestines were badly damaged and he got peritonitis and died. I wouldn't let this go on too long before you get it checked.

+ Reply to Thread