Groaning..How much is normal in aging Lab?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Groaning..How much is normal in aging Lab?

Casper is offline Junior Member

Default Groaning..How much is normal in aging Lab?

Anyone have much experience with large breed seniors? I have a 10 yr old lab that has a complicated medical history that is compromising how I treat her arthritis. Does anyone have an older lab that groans in discomfort/pain? I'm assuming you treat with NSAIDs....Do the NSAIDs make the groaning disappear or just lessen it?

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Some dogs are really vocal and get more so as they get older. I had one of those. If you really believe that yours is groaning due to pain - it is about managing her pain - not the groaning. You need to see a vet.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Thanks Sharon. We see the vet about 2-3 times per week. I guess it's like when a woman takes her car to the mechanic and says she keeps hearing a noise. The mechanic never witnesses the described noise! My dog looks/acts fine when she's at the vet. She only has one kidney (had one removed at 7months) and the remaining kidney is beginning to fail. Her bloodwork and UA #'s aren't too bad but her GI Tract has taken a turn for the worse due to all of the toxins/acidity. NSAIDS would help the arthritis pain but due to her weakened stomach/intestines, she'll vomit and get diarrhea. She's never been a very vocal dog. Bottom line is I'll do what's best for my dog. But, I don't want to put her down if the groaning is something that is normal for a dog her size/age and I am being a paranoid parent. We all experience aches and pains as we age. I just don't know if her groaning is "old age" or pain?

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

When is she groaning? When she is getting up? When she is just laying around? When she is asleep?

My Hoss is a groaner, but has been since he was a wee pup. I think he does it when he is bored, when he is really happy... If I groan back at him, we carry on rather lengthy "conversations" (I think it is rather cute). If we are sitting around in class listening to the instructor talk, Hoss will let out with a huge groan, and raise an eyebrow with a very distinct "Can we PLEASE get on with this?"

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

lisa is offline Senior Member

Sorry I have no advice...put sending healing thoughts and prayer to your pup

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Hudler's been groaning alot since he became a senior. It seems like just about ALL the time. He was starting to limp pretty bad too, so we were thinking arthritis in his shoulder. We dropped his weight, put him on thyroid medication, and get him on a good joint supplement...and we are finding the limping is less as well as much of the groaning...except when he gets comfy on the couch or his bed!

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Casper View Post
    Thanks Sharon. We see the vet about 2-3 times per week. I guess it's like when a woman takes her car to the mechanic and says she keeps hearing a noise. The mechanic never witnesses the described noise! My dog looks/acts fine when she's at the vet. She only has one kidney (had one removed at 7months) and the remaining kidney is beginning to fail. Her bloodwork and UA #'s aren't too bad but her GI Tract has taken a turn for the worse due to all of the toxins/acidity. NSAIDS would help the arthritis pain but due to her weakened stomach/intestines, she'll vomit and get diarrhea. She's never been a very vocal dog. Bottom line is I'll do what's best for my dog. But, I don't want to put her down if the groaning is something that is normal for a dog her size/age and I am being a paranoid parent. We all experience aches and pains as we age. I just don't know if her groaning is "old age" or pain?
    Oh, wow - poor girl!

Is she on glucosamine/chrondroitin? Can she tolerate that?

Maybe some alternative treatment (holistic) like acupuncture? I know that some dogs get those treatments and it helps - sure did help a human friend of mine with her pain management.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Thanks everyone:-) She was on Dasuquin for quite some time. However, once she started having digestive issues (bloody diarrhea), she was put on Metronidazole and I was told to stop all of her other meds/supplements until her belly was 100%. Well, we went on the Metronidazle for 5 days then her problems resurfaced. Then we tried it for 10 days. Right now, I am keeping my fingers crossed that her stomach can tolerate food. If I see that happen, I'll slowly try to re-introduce her to NSAIDS and/or Dasuquin.

Anyone ever hear of using Aloe Vera juice to soothe the stomach and assist the joints?

She acts 100% normal when she is standing/sitting/walking. I mainly hear her groan when she is lying down or trying to get up. Sometimes she'll groan a bit when she's just laying there.

She has a lot of factors that affect her treatment. We'll keep trying.

We were on Dasuquin for some time but then she started to have bloody stools. She was on 13 pills per day (3 Azodyl, 3 Tramadol, 2 Carprofen, 2 Dasuquin, 2 Enalapril, and one fish oil). So, at that point, we were advised to stop all of her meds and start her on Metronidazole. We did that a couple of times but her stomach is still a mess. We've tried Pepcid.

While her bloody stools have cleared up, her stomach still makes awful gurgling noises and you can hear the juices churning in her gut (she eats canned k/d). So, I decided to experiment. We all know that a bland diet is the "go to" treatment for dogs when they have stomach upset. So, for the last 1.5 days, I have fed her what is known to be easy on the stomach. This will tell me if it's her food or the kidney failure that is disturbing her stomach. If it's the k/d, the solution isn't very difficult..I'll change her food. If it's a side effect of the kidney failure, I need to start preparing for my nervous breakdown!

Plus, her arthritis is terrible. How can I give her something (NSAIDS) to relieve her pain when they are known to cause stomach bleeding and kidney failure? She probably has less then 20% function in her remaining kidney:-( A decision may be coming soon:-(((((((

pbc
    pbc is offline Senior Member

Have you tried Sucralfate for her stomach? Followed up one hour later with the Pepcid followed up by a low residue meal one half hour later. Iams makes Low Residue Canned also Low Residue Kibble. You will need to be versed in dosing the Sucrlafate and the efffects it has on the stomach and other meds since it blocks absorption. Timing is everything when using the Sucralfate.

As for the pain meds does the dog improve while on them or do you not see a difference. If you see a difference then by all means use them to keep her comfortable.

+ Reply to Thread