Puppy dandruff.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puppy dandruff.

id64 is offline Member

Default Puppy dandruff.

I have a 9.5 weeks old chocolate lab puppy that seems to have a dandruff. I've noticed some flakes when we've got them like a week ago and now it's got a bit worse. We haven't bath them yet and I wonder if bath will do any good in this case. I've read on some online sources that it will go away eventually. I am taking him to the vet for the shots in 2 days, but it makes me a bit nervous right now. Any ideas?

TIA

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Whatever you do, do NOT bathe your pup/dog in any human shampoo whether for adults -- or even the gentlest of the mild, for babies.

Human shampoos (adults and babies) are formulated for human skin which is MANY times more acidic than dog skin.

Dog skin is MUCH closer to neutral (between acidic and alkaline/basic). So, using a human shampoo on dogs/puppies is bathing them in something very irritating to their skin -- not quite as bad as battery acid but certainly in that direction. The most thorough flushing, rinsing, will NOT take away the initial irritation and damage caused by contact with a shampoo formulated for humans, whether adults or infants.

[The same goes for all other detergents to possibly use on dogs; if in any doubt, contact the mfr and find out the pH of the product; it should be within a pH value of 6.5 to 7.5 (7.0 is neutral). The pH scale is logarithmic so 6.0 is 10x as acidic at 7.0 and 5.0 is 100X as acidic.]

Hopefully, others will have good suggestions on what to do for dandruff on puppies. I can only advise you on what not to use.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My concern about this is to atone for mistakes I made with my Bess, a black Lab, some 40 years ago. Bess had constant dandruff which I VERY mistakenly tried to correct by frequently bathing her with "gentle" (I then thought!) baby shampoo.

Forgive me, sweet Bess, I knew no better. I'll try to make up for the irritation I caused you by warning others against making my mistake.

Last edited by Bob Pr.; 04-05-2010 at 07:32 PM. Reason: add emphases [I][B][U]
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

mamazano is offline Member

Our Golden Retriever had terrible dandruff when we brought her home, huge flakes. The "breeder" had been feeding the pups Ol' Roy dog chow. Once we switched her to a better food, her skin problems cleared up. Fish oil capsules also help, when they are older.

id64 is offline Member

Thanks!

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

Its pretty normal as they change from puppy coat to a coarser adolescent coat. I wouldn't worry about it, and I certainly wouldn't bathe him.

He'll grow out of it.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

Boston is offline Senior Member

Stoli had the same thing. I switched her food(wheat free, no corn) and added DermaCaps(omega3/6 solution) to her water. Her coat is great now!!

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Its nothing serious but you can add 1 1/2 tspn of organic apple cider viniger to the a.m. and p.m. meal with water added. It takes a couple of weeks or a bit longer but it clears up the flakes. Be sure and shake the bottle before each use.

I would not bathe her.

suzieQ is offline Member

Our pup is almost 7 months old now and when we first brought him home he was very very flakey. It improved with time because we fed him better food, but he was still flakey up until about a month ago, now it's not nearly as bad. so it's true that they grow out of it. I wouldn't worry about it. actually I was really worried about it when he was about 4 months old because I found out he'd been exposed to a dog that had lice, and I was constantly pulling flakes off and examining them for legs LOL but he never did get any.

rookyduckling is offline Senior Member

vet recommended fish oil for Toby for his flakes .......................

jgleas1 is offline Junior Member

My pup was on beneful ( i know , not the best). I heard that poor food like that can cause dandruff. I have recently switched to Pro Plan. She 6 months and 54lbs. Will that help ?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast