excessively licking lips
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: excessively licking lips

Pennie is offline Junior Member

Default excessively licking lips

My lab all of a sudden started licking her lips and swallowing, and won't stop, this has happened maybe 3 times now. she'll just wake up and then start licking her lips, and even squinting her right eye a little. She can't seem to get comfortable when this happens, and often will start licking one spot repeatedly until it's soaked, but then about an hour or so later she will eventually be back to normal again. I'm taking her to the vet, but has anyone ever experienced this with their lab?

kiddsmom is offline Senior Member

Can be a sign of nausea.

"Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Nick is offline Senior Member

It can be a symptom of a lot of things including nausea, pain, stomach discomfort, oral disease, and the list goes on. Jes does this, and he has been diagnosed with reflux. It typically happens after dinner, strenuous exercise, or just randomly. You can watch the drool just stream out of his mouth, because after a while he just gets tired of constantly smacking his lips. The way you describe her discomfort makes me wonder if she doesn't have the same thing going on. I would definitely bring it to the vet's attention.

At the moment, we're trying a lower fat and protein food to see if it helps. He's gone from once every 2 weeks or so, to once a month. It looks like we'll probably have to go with medication. It's definitely good you're having a vet examine her because it could be many different things.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Ernie does it when he isn't feeling well. Pain nausea, tummy ache. Good thoughts for the vets visit.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Pennie is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the replies! I brought her to the vet but they aren't sure. Her teeth are alright, so it isn't that. She has been great the last couple of days, so I will have to just keep an eye on her.

Nick is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pennie View Post
    Thanks for the replies! I brought her to the vet but they aren't sure. Her teeth are alright, so it isn't that. She has been great the last couple of days, so I will have to just keep an eye on her.
    Keep a log or journal with the date and what you were doing when it happens. That helped me figure out what was causing it because it didn't happen every day. It didn't even happen every week, and sometimes it was several weeks in between the episodes. But there was a pattern, it only happened a) right after a meal, and b) right after strenuous exercise.

+ Reply to Thread