Pup with recessed vulva and 1 st heat - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pup with recessed vulva and 1 st heat

bethheil is offline Junior Member

Default Bailey

Quote Originally Posted by dobiegil2000 View Post
    Hi guys,

Bailey is four months old and has a recessed vulva. Vet wanted to do surgery with spaying, but after reading about it here, we decided to talk to him about what is recommended here. He has no problems with it. I have never had a female dog, so I have no idea what to expect with her going into heat. I know this may sound strange, but how do you keep the discharge from getting all over the place?

Thanks in advance,
    Robin
    How is Bailey doing? Did the heat cycle correct her recessed vulva? We have a 9 week old with the same problem and I'm wondering if I should let her go through a cycle or have the surgery. Thanks for any advise you can give !

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by bethheil View Post
    How is Bailey doing? Did the heat cycle correct her recessed vulva? We have a 9 week old with the same problem and I'm wondering if I should let her go through a cycle or have the surgery. Thanks for any advise you can give !
    I'd never consider the surgery unless it did not correct by allowing your puppy to mature naturally. Once she is through her first heat and older she will likely be fine. But - certainly don't choose surgery without letting nature take it's course first.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

5 mo old Tango (and a couple other pups I've kept) have had recessed vulvas. Tango's is improving even now (though she'll stay intact anyhow). I've never had a problem to be honest.

I think many vets are too quick to jump at early spay surgeries, and in the process, cost the owners (and dog) far more in the end. Please do your homework.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by bethheil View Post
    Absolutely do not consider surgery unless the first heat does not correct the RV. And than only if she has recurring UTIs that you can not control naturally (without constant antibiotic).

Go back to page one and click on my blog in my post (Heart Pet) for all the info you need on natural means of preventing UTIs.

I know many dogs with RVs already spayed prior to first heat (unfortunately) that are UTI free from following my method.

With all the people I have helped I have only seen one dog that needed the surgery. But is was the most unbelievable (worse case) RV I have ever seen - vet said the same.

Feel free to post on my blog or email me for any help you need.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12